3 phase db question

You need to get an electrician to do this. As pointed out, there are contractual issues as well as legislation (HSE, insurance and the propery lease) covering the commercial entity. This is not a diy job.
Good to see you. You are indeed right. As I said in the very first response to the OP (subsequent to which BAS expanded my point) ...
This is not really DIY work, particularly since, as sounds to be the case, this is a commercial property.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If there is a 3p board, then the 'consumer unit' isn't required and probably shouldn't have been fitted in the first place.

The consumer unit was put in to deal with the lights and sockets I assume and the rest of the 3ph board was to be used for the sunbeds.

It's doubtful that '3 x 3kw convector heaters' is appropriate heating for a shop, and they certainly don't require a 20A radial circuit for each one.

What would you suggest as suitable heating??

Sponsored Links
what is your background? you are asking for advice to do a commercial install. if you are not qualified, your mum in law may be in breach her letting agreement and her insurance cover could be voided. you can carry on and some people (not electricians) may even advise you. if an accident happens,they don't face prosection or bankruptancy.
However, you and your mother in law could do so.

Last edited:
what is your background? you are asking for advice to do a commercial install. if you are not qualified, your mum in law may be in breach her letting agreement and her insurance cover could be voided. you can carry on and some people (not electricians) may even advise you. if an accident happens,they don't face prosection or bankruptancy.
If that latter part was stimulated by my most recent post, I don't think that anyone, electrician or otherwise, is likely to face prosecution or bankruptcy for offering suggestions about appropriate types of heating for a shop :)

Thinking about it, are you aware of any electrician ever having been prosecuted or made bankrupt because of advice of any sort that they have given (let alone anonymous advice!)?

Lest there be an uncertainty, let me say for the third time that I do not believe that the work being discussed here should be undertaken by anyone other than a ("prosecutable"!) electrician.

Kind Regards, John

I think that before anyone could even start to answer that question we would need to know more. For a start, how large is this shop/craft centre?

The centre is 15mx5mx2.5m has cavity walls a flat above and a solid floor. Also has double glazed windows covering 7sq metres. Also 3 external walls

Thinking about it, are you aware of any electrician ever having been prosecuted or made bankrupt because of advice of any sort that they have given (let alone anonymous advice!)?
You should read what you quoted again - I've made the relevant phrase stand out.

He wasn't saying that people face prosecution etc for giving advice - he was saying they don't.

You need to get an electrician to do this. As pointed out, there are contractual issues as well as legislation (HSE, insurance and the propery lease) covering the commercial entity. This is i not a diy job.
Good to see you. You are indeed right. As I said in the very first response to the OP (subsequent to which BAS expanded my point) ...
This is not really DIY work, particularly since, as sounds to be the case, this is a commercial property.

Kind Regards, John

I am using my Ipad and this was my first attempt at quoting and nothing I typed was posted. This post is rubbish, so please ignore it.

Last edited:
You could wire the three heaters on separate phases with a common star point to save running a neutral wire (y):LOL:

what is your background? you are asking for advice to do a commercial install. if you are not qualified, your mum in law may be in breach her letting agreement and her insurance cover could be voided. you can carry on and some people (not electricians) may even advise you. if an accident happens,they [non-electricians] don't face prosection or bankruptancy.
You should read what you quoted again - I've made the relevant phrase stand out. He wasn't saying that people face prosecution etc for giving advice - he was saying they don't.
If that's what he meant, I totally misunderstood. My understanding (per added red emphasis) was that he was saying that non-electricians may give advice, because they don't face prosecution or bankrupcy - the implication seemingly being that electricians would not give advice, since they might then face those risks.

Hopefully he will clarify, since, in context, your interpretation does not really seem to make much sense, whereas seemingly does.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back