3 phase db question

Sponsored Links
3 balanced 230V loads across 3 phases with a common star point will work just fine. No different to the 3 windings in a TP motor.

3 balanced 230V loads across 3 phases with a common star point will work just fine. No different to the 3 windings in a TP motor.
Indeed so. However, the last three or four posts have been about phase-to-phase (i.e. 'delta') connection of the heaters, which is a whole different scenario!

With the star arrangement of heaters, one would presumably have to hope that they didn't have individual thermostats (and that none of them ever became faulty), since that would play havoc with the 'balance' :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I thought that was the difference between a "radial" and a "ring" circuit!

John. My post was not responding to you and you missed my point. I asked the OP about his background because this is not a diy job. I referred to early posts saying this, which the OP ignored. My point is that he will be responsible for the installation, not any forum members who give advice. Given his posts, I don't know any electrician who would give advice other than get a pro to do the job.

There are plenty of instances where a poster wants to ignore the law and the approach is to advise to try to keep them safe. Usually when doing a notifiable job and the poster wants to ignore his labc. The pragmatic approach being to help him do a safe job.

A 3ph board, in a commercial premises is not a place for a diyer (or an electrician who needs design advice from any internet forum) to be working.

My point to the OP, as bas picked up, is that he is asuming responsibility for the installation not any forum member giving advice. I never said forum member would face prosecution. I have editted my post, to hopefully clarify my meaning.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. Will definitely get qualified spark in. Although I have already purchased the 3 x 3kw convector heaters. Wasted money?

Can't help but think often, if forum contributors (and that includes other forum(s?)) made a little effort to check ... and then improve where necessary the punctuation in their postings, a lot of misunderstandings could (sometimes :)) be avoided.

Now children ... sit up straight.

:sneaky:

Can't help but think often, if forum contributors (and that includes other forum(s?)) made a little effort to check ... and then improve where necessary the punctuation in their postings, a lot of misunderstandings could (sometimes :)) be avoided.
That's very true, and it's not just punctuation - I imagine that we are all guilty of writing ambiguous things in our posts sometimes!

Kind Regards, John

I thought that was the difference between a "radial" and a "ring" circuit!
Is that a serious comment, or did you forget to add a smiley? If the former, then you are definitely misunderstanding, and I could attempt to explain if you wished.

Kind Regards, John

John. My post was not responding to you and you missed my point. I asked the OP about his background because this is not a diy job. I referred to early posts saying this, which the OP ignored. My point is that he will be responsible for the installation, not any forum members who give advice. Given his posts, I don't know any electrician who would give advice other than get a pro to do the job. ...
I don't think many 'knowledgeable' non-electricians would, either - the OP has certainly not obtained any significant advice regarding "how to do it" from anyone. Thanks for clarifying, and my apologies for misinterpreting your post.
My point to the OP, as bas picked up, is that he is assuming responsibility for the installation not any forum member giving advice. I never said forum member would face prosecution. I have edited my post, to hopefully clarify my meaning.
Thanks for editing. There is no longer any ambiguity or scope for dim people like me to misunderstand!
There are plenty of instances where a poster wants to ignore the law and the approach is to advise to try to keep them safe. Usually when doing a notifiable job and the poster wants to ignore his labc. The pragmatic approach being to help him do a safe job.
Indeed, although at least some disapprove of that pragmatic ('risk mitigation') approach. However, that's not the scenario we are dealing with here - although I suppose there would again be a bit of a dilemma (for forum members) if the OP made it clear that he was hell-bent on going ahead with the work, with or without advice. However, fortrunately, he has taken the advice to employ an electrician..
A 3ph board, in a commercial premises is not a place for a diyer (or an electrician who needs design advice from any internet forum) to be working.
Quite so - and, as I have pointed out, I (a non-electrician) told the OP that in post #2.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your replies. Will definitely get qualified spark in. Although I have already purchased the 3 x 3kw convector heaters. Wasted money?

Any advice as to whether the 3 x 3kw convector heaters are sufficient to heat the area?

Any advice as to whether the 3 x 3kw convector heaters are sufficient to heat the area?
I'm no authority on such matters, but you could investigate this as well as I can - there are innumerable 'calculators' on-line. Having had a quick peep, it looks as if what you you propose may possibly be just about adequate - but who knows?!

How was it previously heated, or did it just rely on the sunbeds?!

Kind Regards, John

Yes. The sunbeds provided enough heat!

I did my calculations by calculating the btu's needed then converting to kWh's?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back