Is my electricity being stolen?

Are you on a pay monthly by direct debit? They usually try to average out consumption over 12 months too, so in the Summer you'll be paying more for actual usage and in the winter you pay less than actual usage. The difference is even more exaggerated since you have electric heating rather than gas.

Though I think you're questioning is 685kWh/month typical?

283 kW.h for the lighting

And lets say the remaining largest load is only the heater, we'll forget about the fridge and kettle etc.

685-283 = 402kW.h = 201 hours of water heater operation in 30 days = operating solidly for nearly 7 hours in every 24.

I'd say that's high, yeah

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
My above message posted at the same time as JohnW2.

What he says equally applies. You could get a plug-in power meter that measures consumption to gauge what each utility uses

Nozzle

... we'll forget about the fridge and kettle etc.
As I've just written, it might be a mistake to 'forget' the fridge and freezer. If they are old, they could easily account for almost as much as the lighting - which would make the total quoted very credible.

As for the water heater, I wonder if it is an 'instant heat' one. If so, and if it's only used for washing up, it's power consumption would be pretty negligible.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies so far.

The fridge and freezer are just over 12months old .

I have just been to the centre and turned the mains switch off and went out for an hour. (Maybe not long enough?)The meter did not turn over.
So, I guess back to the drawing board?

Last edited:
The water heater I believe operates on a thermostat and you can set it to your desired temp so that if the temp drops or water is used it kicks in and heats it up again

no, because the main switch may have turned off your circuits, one or more of which might feed something in the flat. Most likely lights or sockets. Maybe even a water heater. Show us a pic of the consumer unit please

In relation to the billing. The amount of elec we use for any given month is exactly the amount that is taken via direct debit. So no averaging out.

Post a picture of your meter and the consumer unit (fuse box) and the cables in between. A close up of the MCBs with detail of what they supply.

You may need an electrician in, to gauge if there is a fault and find it. As others have said your bill seems high so something is sapping your energy!

if you photograph the meter as well, and all the cables and switches around and between them (especially any that seem to go upwards) it may help.

In your consumer unit, the MCSs will (should) be labelled to say what circuits they control. They will also have the amperage marked on them (B6, B16, B32 etc) which gives clues.

Ok. The letting agent for the flat above has agreed to meet me at the flat above the centre in an hour to carry out some tests. What the most logical process to test if we are leaking elec to the flat above?

If they have an electric shower, turn it on then go check your meter, it should be flashing like crazy.

Photograph the fusebox there and the supply cable to it, any cables that seem to bypass it, etc.

Check for cannabis grows too. They use loads of energy.

Turn everything on in the flat, plug a few appliances into random sockets if you can.

Go downstairs, turn off your breakers one by one. Stay on the blower to the agent so he can tell you if anything goes off.

Look for a meter feeding the flat.

While there, take photos of your fuse box etc, and the cables around the meter - if there is another set of tails that disappear off somewhere, they could feed the flat . . . And even if you turn off your main switch, that set of tails will still be live feeding the flat.

So do I turn my mains switch off and then turn things on in the flat one by one?

In relation to my CU. I said earlier it was a sunbed shop in a previous life and it still has a 3 phase supply and a 3 phase board to which one of the phases supplies the CU for the centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back