Petrol mower brake bar operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,
For a week etc now ive noticed the brake bar operation is feeling notchy.
Ive removed the lever / spring etc where is grabs the spinning part,not sure of the name.
I have cleaned it up then added some grease when i put it back together.
Ive also poured some oil down the cable to help it.
When i grab the brake bar i can see the handle move before the cable moves.

It does operate & stop the engine but it isnt smooth & sometimes i can see once ive let go of the bar its not beeing pulled back swiftly & more of a sluggish return.

Does this sound like the cable is stretched as i dont see any adjustment ?

Should i fit a spring to help return the brake bar ?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the flywheel brake here? It also operates an engine electrical cut out too.
if so, its just a band of lining material that grabs the flywheel to bring the engine to an abrupt halt....maybe the lining material has broken away?
Failing that, take the cable off and look for any fraying or stiffness, and the spring on the brake band is all you really need!
John :)

Yes the flywheel brake.
Electrical cut out is fine.

It works fine if i assist the brake for return so i dont think lining has broken off.
I dont feel any fraying.

Symptons are week return spring.

I will remove cable and see how it operates when i pull / push it through the outer sleeve

Sponsored Links
Ive taken the cable off & i think it needs to be replaced.
Putting some oil down the inner sleeve doesnt do much.

Thanks

Replace cable if you can, if you can`t then there is a cable oiler that motor bike owners use.

Usually a bowden cable rather than a single strand, the great enemy is when the mower handles are folded, (not recommended) which kinks the cable and sometimes frays it. Another one is where the outer sheath is split and lets water in.

Replace cable if you can, if you can`t then there is a cable oiler that motor bike owners use.

I used to form a funnel out of something like a 4 pint plastic milk bottle material, tape it so it was oil tight, wedge it up at the handlebars, then fill it with a mix of oil and diesel. It will find its way in eventually and come out the bottom end.

Motorcycle Mechanics (circa 1960) recommends that a small funnel is fashioned with plasticene :)
I never did have time for the Beano or Beezer :mrgreen:

Cable ordered yesterday & arrived this morning.
Now fitted & feels like a new machine.
£13 well spent.

Ive cut the dog leg & eye fitting off so for spares.

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back