HONDA HR173 Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour had a crankshaft replaced in his mower & asked me if I could assemble the engine back in the deck & all the cables etc.

I’ve now completed it but stuck on one thing.
I’ve supplied some photos for you.
Whoever took the engine out to be sent away took the lever / bar off the shaft which comes out of the side of the engine. Photos of the item in question shown in photos.
I’m not sure what position this lever / bar should be before I do the nut & bolt up.
Also I have a spring left over & not sure where it goes.
I do see a hole in the middle of this bar / lever and the bracket to the right has 3 holes in it so this is where I think it connects BUT with the spring fitted theres no effort used to stretch it over & connect into the hole hence why it falls off all the time.

Attachments

• C55B9FF7-7493-424F-AC97-A6640856619F.jpeg
    C55B9FF7-7493-424F-AC97-A6640856619F.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 440A8B89-E2C8-430E-BCDD-4D1EF4C1430C.jpeg
    440A8B89-E2C8-430E-BCDD-4D1EF4C1430C.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 140
  • 3A93C4C6-7964-47F7-9C13-6B3F66EEF02A.jpeg
    3A93C4C6-7964-47F7-9C13-6B3F66EEF02A.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Welcome to the fastest revving side valve engine of all time!
The rod coming out from the side of the engine bears onto the governor inside the crankcase and ideally this should have been left alone - there’s no need to disconnect this to replace the crankshaft.
You’ll just have to experiment, I’m afraid unless you can get hold of an exploded diagram but try slackening the pinch bolt on the arm, and then turning the rod until it connects with the governor inside - tighten the pinch bolt and the arm should be free to pivot.
Best get the engine to start, and see if the governor works I think - unless you want to split the crankcase open.
John :)

Not sure who removed it but wasn’t me.
I’ve just removed that bar plate which has the pinch bolt in it.
I’ve then grabbed the bar that comes out of the engine & turned it right & also left. As soon as I start to turn either way I can feel it hits something.
So does that mean it’s in the correct place ?

I’m sure that it was only the pinch bolt & the metal plate it lives in was removed hence the bar that goes into the engine hasn’t then been touched.

Turning the bar will either connect it to the governor pin that moves outwards as the engine speeds up - or it will make contact with the internals of the crankcase.
Unfortunately I have no idea which way to turn it. Easy enough with the crankcase split, of course!

Sponsored Links
I get the same feel / noise either way I turn it.

Splitting the case isnt an option for me so will the mower start if this bar with the pinch bolt loose etc.
what’s your advice on what I should do please

Ye gods you’ve put me on the spot here!
No matter......turn the rod one way and tighten the pinch bolt.
Disconnect levers and springs from the carb, turn the fast idle screw clockwise so the motor should be able to start.
Start up and the arm with the pinch bolt should move anticlockwise as the engine speeds up.
If it doesn’t, turn the rod the other way and try again.

Ok thanks.
That means the arm with the ouch bolt needs to be positioned forwards then done up.
Awaiting oil and new blade then will do it.
Thanks.

Oil & blade here so not fitted & topped up.
Started fine first pull but smoked a bit.
Left to kind of idle for a while & smoke not as bad.
I havent done any of the above yet as i thought i would comment on what ive just done.

The throttle lever has LOW then moving this lever forward it gets to HIGH then forward a little more CHOKE.

Ive got the lever at LOW & its ticking over but as i move it towards HIGH i dont realy see any increase in revs.

Ive got the throttle cable clamped on the metal end piece of the cable & started it but no joy.
I then pulled the cable through more so i was then clamping down on the black outer part of the throttle cable but still not much joy.

One thing to note is i havent attached the spring shown in the attached photo.
Reason being where it is supposed to fit i dont have to stretch it to hook into place.
I mean i fit it in the place shown then i blink & it falls off.

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 61
I did yes.
In the attached photo the other place I can see where it’s possible to fit is as shown.
But I have two issues.

1, The distance between the two point is less than the spring. So the spring falls off each time.

2, The rod that comes out of the engine is now back inside the case.
The rod that comes out the engine I assume should have a hole in it & the clip passes through the hole. Well I think the person who put the crank in just put the clip over the shaft & not through the hole. I say that because when I was pushing the bar back into the shaft it pushed the shaft back into the case.
If the clip was in the shaft hole I wouldn’t been able to do what I’ve done so it looks like the case will need to be split.

Attachments

• 829EC126-C40A-43AD-850C-A4442D8368C3.jpeg
    829EC126-C40A-43AD-850C-A4442D8368C3.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 77
Attached is a photo of the issue i have in that the rod has now gone back inside the case.
I understand i have to remove the engine again but is it then just a simple job like remove the lower part of 6the engine ?
I need to push the rod back through & secure it with the clip.

Basically im not sure what to expect if / when the engine case is opened

Attachments

• 3645.jpg
    3645.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 57
Ive now removed the engine.
Photo attached of the underside of it.

I see 6 x 10 mm bolts of which ive coloured different.
If i undo the 6 bolts & slide the cover off the crank will i then be able to push the governer rod back through the casing of will i bee expecting a gear etc to fall out ?

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 47
Shift those bolts and remove the casting.....make sure there are no burrs on the crankshaft end and keyway that could potentially damage the oil seal.
Nothing else should come away, if the camshaft drops out there is a centre punch mark that aligns with the crankshaft.
All else should be straight forward, I think but I leave some clearance between governor and rod....just a bit.

I’ve ordered a new seal anyway.
Tomorrow I will undo the bolts and push the rod out of the casing.

Is it best to do it with what you see in the photo pointing to the sky to be safe ?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back