Peugeot 206 Strange Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Got a 54 reg Peugeot and have recently heard a strange noise which after weeks of problem eliminating i have found what i think it is and want to know if it will cause further problems.

Basically the sound comes from the passenger door/foot well, initially sounded like a build up of water in the door as when the car accelerated a splashing sound was heard.
Weeks of listening and eliminating i have discovered that either stationary or moving the noise can be heard when the engine goes over 2000 rpm.

It sounds like, what i guess to be, petrol rushing into the engine area which makes me think why, is there an air block, is there a small leak as we have never heard this before.

Will it get worse, how can i cure it, is it normal, has anyone experience of this in their car ????

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt you will hear fuel passing along pipes.I believe your fuel pipes are down the right side anyway.You would also have a smell if there was a leak.Doors always have water passing through,and it can stay in if the drain holes get mudded up.You would hear that sloshing about.Just get on your knees and have a poke with a fine screwdriver to clear drains if blocked.Strange the noise is related to RPM.It could be a vibrating speaker/window channel or winder motor.The symptoms as you describe them may be due to more than one problem.Have a look and post progress.

If you hear this when the car is stopped then it might be air in the top of the cooling/heater system.

This can cause failure of the cylinder head so it could be serious.

There were several air bleed points and a filler below the highest point which was a recipe for disaster. I dont know about your later model.

I think this may need some very professional assistance!

Tony

Thanks for intetest so far.
I can definately confirm that noise can be heard when car is in motion (accelerating over 2000rpm) and when stationary (revving over 2000 rpm at short bursts)

Think i can eliminate water as when i rock the car or brake sharply no noise is heard, its only, like i say, when the revs increase.

The sound can be best described as a sound the central heating in the house makes as it switches on and the water is pumped around the radiators only a bit faster and louder.

Sponsored Links
wonder if a grommet has come out the bulk head and your hearing sounds that u usually wouldnt :confused:

My DC2 popped a grommet and sounded like a hose had split but was just engine noise hissing through to the foot well etc... :mad: :LOL:

Agile said:
If you hear this when the car is stopped then it might be air in the top of the cooling/heater system.

This can cause failure of the cylinder head so it could be serious.

There were several air bleed points and a filler below the highest point which was a recipe for disaster. I dont know about your later model.

I think this may need some very professional assistance!

Tony

Got to agree, i had this and it was coolant circulating through the heater matrix, i had a big air lock in the system. Have you tried switching the heater control to cold and listening? just a thought.

There were several air bleed points and a filler below the highest point which was a recipe for disaster.

Got to agree, i had this and it was coolant circulating through the heater matrix, i had a big air lock in the system. Have you tried switching the heater control to cold and listening? just a thought.

Is this something i can fix, re the bleed points.
Do i need heater on full blast ?

Did a similar job on a citroen ZX,not sure if your peugeot has similar bleed points or not.If you can ident them(zx had 3,two were little taps and 1 was like a tyre valve)You need something like a 1.5 litre empty antifreeze bottle with the bottom cut off. Jam it's screw neck into the coolant filler and fill with 50% glycol/water mix. You now have a head of coolant higher than any point.Messy bit now,slacken all the bleeders and let coolant flow out.(heater to hot setting, engine off)Have an assistant or two with cloths and little pots to catch what you can and minimise mess.When coolant free of bubbles is flowing,turn off the bleeders lowest one first.Messy bit again,you have to remove the temporary header from the filler.

skybluescooby said:
There were several air bleed points and a filler below the highest point which was a recipe for disaster.

Is this something i can fix, re the bleed points.
Do i need heater on full blast ?

Cant coment on the bleeding procedure on you're car 'cause i've never worked on one, and yes, when bleeding heater should always be set to hot ;)

Sponsored Links
Back