PEX Barrier Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Am installing a new water supply to a log cabin and am using JG Speedfit PEX pipe. However Screwfix have two different types although they look the same and it isn't obvious what the difference is except the price! Can anyone enlighten me?:

http://tinyurl.com/2mh83r

http://tinyurl.com/58m9bk

The pipe will be used internally, not externally.

One other query, is it a requirement for a pressure gauge to be fitted to the incoming supply?

Sponsored Links
The Title and description tells you the difference, and you don't need a presure gauge, just a stop tap preferable about 150mm off the floor on the rising main, and a drain-off just above that.

being a copper person i dont use a lot of plastic pipe, i think barrier pipe is double layered with with some thing in the middle if that make sense, then there is just the single walled pipe. its poss there calling single walled, barrier pipe, any body else got any ideas ?

Thanks for the reply.

I have read the two descriptions but still confused about the differences between these two pipes. Is the first one suitable for general hot and cold supply? The second is described as barrier coil pipe while the first is simply PEX barrier pipe.

I can't find any information relating to the first pipe on the JG website. Don't want to buy the wrong pipe and want to check beforehand.

Sponsored Links
normal plastic pipe is ok for hot and cold, and you need barrier pipe for central heating i think, im sure some one might correct me on that ?

Thanks for that.

I was referring to a pressure gauge but am also curious as to whether a PRV is required - some have a gauge built in. I guess it's good practice to install a PRV as this will regulate the pressure? The incoming supply pressure is high but I haven't accurately measured it yet.

I see the difference between the two pipes now and why there is such a price difference. I am not installing any wet heating system, just hot and cold water supplies to a kitchen and small ensuite. The hot water will be supplied from an unvented water heater (15l capacity). Will the normal plastic pipe be adequate for this purpose?

you should have a prv with the unvented unit, you might also check that a 22mm mains supply is needed,see manufactures instructions. most unvented prvs come with a combind in line strainer, not forgeting none return valve. you also should be registered to fit unvented systems. as for the plastic pipe its worth checking what temp the pipe is designed for. i think most are ok at high temp but im not sure what the fittings can take, please take care fitting unvented as they can be dangerous if there not fitted correctly, i must apologize as im not very good at explaining what i want to say in writhing, i am qualified to fit unvented systems though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back