Philips Hue lighting

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

Anyone know what the range is on a Philips Hue bridge?

Want to put in some garden lights, but concerned about the range of the WiFi from the bridge...

I assume that the lights connect to the bridge rather than my access point, is that right?

Sponsored Links
Hue uses a wireless communication protocol called ZigBee, not WiFi. The hub "translates" from ZigBee to your network.

ZigBee has some advantages over WiFi (lower power consumption, strictly 2.4GHz, more plug and play, it forms a mesh which means devices can repeat the signal, lower data throughput) which is what makes it suitable for smart home devices. 2.4GHz is also what the slower SSIDs (WiFi networks) your router advertises uses, and will reach through the walls in your average house easily (e.g. how you can see your neighbours WiFi).

The range will depend on conditions (wall construction, positioning, etc) but you'll likely be fine unless there's something very odd about your house.

Assuming you'll put the bridge next to a router that is also acting as your WiFi access point (ie using your ISP-supplied router), you can try and see if you get a WiFi signal in your garage. ZigBee will work there even if the signal your phone sees from your router is weak - the amount of data it's transferring is orders of magnitude less.

If you don't get a signal to your phone from your router in your garage, you'll possibly need to rely on the mesh - that is putting a bulb somewhere between the router and the garage. This other bulb will relay the signals from the garage bulb to the hub and vice versa. Your other option would be moving the hub somewhere closer as the hub is connected to your router via ethernet and not WiFi.

TLDR: Practically, I'd say it'll probably work - hue have a whole range of outdoor lights.

As an aside, it may be worth holding out for black Friday - Hue tends to see very good deals on the online retailers.

I have several hue bulbs and lamps including garden lights which are well down the garden (as an aside, I have extended the low voltage cable by cutting and inserting 2 core flex, no problem).. As @jado84 says they mesh together and I've never had any issues. Also, I have found samotech products https://www.samotech.co.uk/samotech-products/ which are hue compatible work seamlessly. The zigbee switches and dimmers are just added as a lamp to the hue hub. I use them to switch led battens and standard led bulbs. The advantage again is that they mesh in the zigbee system, rather than relying on wifi.

Brilliant!

Thanks so much for the info, really handy to know that I can use lights to bounce the signal further on.

I want to buy into a complete system, so wanted to make sure it will do everything I want, both now and in future.

You've both been really helpful, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Next question!

Can anyone recommend the best supplier for Philips Hue?

I keep seeing the usual Black Friday deals from the likes of Amazon, but I know it's sometimes better to go to a proper wholesaler

I've never had issues with amazon for hue. I'd just get it where it is cheapest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back