Unreliable scene cycling using Hue button on dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently completed my first installation of Philips Hue smart lights. There are 6 x GU5.3 spots (all White Ambience) and 5 x GU10 spots (4 White Ambience, 1 Colour Ambience), all connected via a Hue Bridge. All lamps have been updated to the latest software version (currently 1.104.2). This has generally gone well but there is one issue that is causing me grief.

My system is set up to use the Hue button on a V2 Hue Dimmer Switch to cycle through four scenes I have created. But, instead of stepping in the defined sequence of 1-2-3-4, it often takes a more random route like 1-2-1-3. Sometimes, pressing the Hue button doesn’t make any change at all to the scene (on at least one occasion, three successive presses were ignored).

I’ve already tried moving the Hue Bridge further away from my WiFi router and changing the ZigBee channel, but it has not cured the problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I realised today that my aging brain had been unconsciously assuming the system would know what scene was active and I was therefore expecting that a single press of the Hue button on the dimmer switch would always change to the next scene.

However, it is now obvious that the system stores no record of the current scene and therefore that first press always activates the first scene. That is my most used scene, which is why the first press usually appeared to have no effect. To continue cycling through scenes you must not delay longer than about 3 seconds between taps, or you will start again at the first scene. Scene switching is therefore working as designed!

Good info. I don't use this type of switch, but have extensive hue. It's a good system. Check out samotech devices if you want to include other things in to your hue network.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back