Powering Hue lights from a fused spur with wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've been looking to replace my kitchen cabinet lighting and tracing the power feed I'm in need of a bit of advice.
I have a wall light switch that I can trace to a connector block, fed by a single 2.5 T+E. The connector block also feeds a light driver although I think this has since blown. Firstly, I'm not sure there should be a regular light switch on the end of this but I would like to keep it if possible.
I am planning on running the feed into a 5a fused spur. From there I would like a socket that can power a Philips Hue light strip. I am happy to wire this in directly but I have been informed that the PSU draws 600mA per metre of lights - I'll be running just under 4m so around 2.4A.
Additionally, I would like to replace the two cabinet downlights with LEDs and an inline Zigbee controller (e.g. like this) wired to two LED lights (e.g. these 8w types).
All from the wall light switch.

Doable with a 5A fuse to keep things safe for the wall light switch? I'd be happy to wire into cable outlets of the fused spur and not use traditional sockets.

Sponsored Links
Oh, but the Hue kit comes with a 3 pin adapter. Doh! So I'll need a socket in there somewhere, or an equivalent transformer to wire instead.

Not used hue light strips personally but the figures seem High to me.
Are you sure it's 600mA per metre that the PSU draws? If that figure is actually on the output side, then assuming it runs at 12V you could be a factor of 20 out.

Sponsored Links
That's HUE PSU output is continuous apparently, and it's 850mA - sorry. I have been comparing with another brand who have a garbled-English translation descriptions and got my knickers in a twist - its an increase of 12w per metre. So would just need a more powerful PSU to drive over longer distances.

Plus, I checked again this morning and the power input is only from the light switch - not the mains. I think the feed is hidden in the ceiling. The additional cable was running to a strip light which blew last year. I'm still thinking of running it through a fused 5a spur although each light will have it's own transformer, maybe overkill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back