Replacing Dimmer Switch with Philips Hue Dimmer Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can't see that this has been covered before (happy to be proved wrong if it has)...

I've bought myself a Philips Hue system, including the Dimmer Switch. The room currently has two separate light switches; one dimmer and one standard on/off. I'm looking to use blanking plates and a connector block to replace the existing switches - however if I just isolate the wires in the connector block, the circuit thinks it is permanently turned off and the Hue Apps/Dimmer Switch no longer work.

My question therefore is...Is there a specific way to connect the wires in the connector block so that the circuit sees itself as always on?

Thanks
Stark

Sponsored Links
It will depend on how your existing switches are wired up.

Assuming they are as in the wiring diagram here, then you will need to put an insulated connector (ie a choc block) in each switch box to replace the switch.

So, at one switch, you'll need to put all of the wire(s) that are in the L1 and C terminals in one connection and the wire(s) that are in L2 need to go into another piece of block, but not connected to anything else.

At the other switch you'll need to put all of the wire(s) that are in the L2 and C terminals in one connection and the wire(s) that are in L1 need to go into another piece of block, but not connected to anything else.

The diagram should help you understand what is going on. If your switches/wiring are different, post pix of what you have and we can advise.
Actually, take pictures BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT ANYTHING!

PS We may need to swop a couple of the wires round, if your light remains off, rather than on all of the time. It will depend on your wiring.

Brilliant thanks for the response and diagrams...I'll be looking at this once I get back home a bit later, hopefully the diagrams will suffice (but knowing my landlord........ ;) )

I am not familiar with the system and can find no instructions.

If you just want the lights permanently on, and they are wired like this:

upload_2016-6-10_14-54-43.png

then just connect together the Black and Red from the top left cable and isolate, insulate and disregard the rest.
Do not alter the CPCs(earth wires).

There are other wiring methods.

Sponsored Links
Ah. Just seen the Landlord reference.

As this is not your property, you should get the Landlord's permission and then an electrician.

Thanks EFLImpudence - I think that is exactly what I have seen. (not too worried about the Landlord...we're long term (14 years and counting) and we're OK to do small things ourselves as long as we advise what we've done...like the Hue, the Nest, the kickass LED strips behind the TV and on shelves)

Cricket ain't looking too rosy (73-0 last look) but as mentioned, we've already won the series, and we've still got time to win this one ;)

Thank you one and all. Has worked a treat :) (and we're having a fair day in the cricket to boot)

Hmmm was 50/1 when I posted... I'll amend to we're having a passable day in the cricket. Not often I'll say this but yeah fingers crossed for rain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back