Phlexiflow shower waste pump (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I purchased a house with this pump already installed. It does not work properly. When I open the shower, it will work for some time (2 to 15 minutes, random) then stop and water will accumulate. I tried to unscrew the shower waste to clean a little but this did not help.

My only solution is to keep switching off the controller and sometimes when I switch it back on it will start to work again. (even after a prolong time it's not guaranteed that it will work)

- Is it easy to identify the issue?
- Is this something I can fix myself?
- Are there now much better products to consider instead of trying to fix this one? (this make a little bit of noise, maybe not enough to think it's broken)
- Should I consider to elevate the shower to avoid using a pump? My priority is to have something reliable with little maintenance required.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Well it seems to be a £400 pump. I`ve never heard of one before now but a little digging around has helped. Try turning power off and removing the cover of the pump which will be screwed to a wall not far away, then drop the bottom cover of the pump housing and clean out. Failing that there is a flow sensor under the shower tray and a control box somewhere. As it happens there are new unused parts currently on fleabay.

In the wall, I can access the pump but I do not understand what is the cover that can be cleaned.

Sponsored Links
In the wall, I can access the pump but I do not understand what is the cover that can be cleaned.
Thin cover at the very bottom of the pump below the pipes on eiher side. 4 screws(s).

Is the impeller clean and in one piece?
They are gulper pumps, it will be fine.

To the left there is a white part (vertical) that I don`t recall seeing in the kit on fleabay, wondering if it is might be a filter and come apart for cleaning. And moving to the left again that could be a flow sensor, does the black wire go to a control box?

Impeller looks clean and is in one piece.

are you talking about the white part with the important sticker or the larger and taller white part on the left?

yes there are two flow sensors connected to the control box

The pump itself seems to be working fine.

I cleaned the copper pipe on the right hand side. Nothing stuck.

I couldn't remove the waste but the water is flowing.

Not an air lock or leak.
Run the water again and this time feel if the motor becomes hot, thinking there are thermal cut outs if it over heats. Could be time for a new pump & motor assembly.

Check if the power to the pump is present when it has gone off, i.e. whether the controller has turned it off. There is a terminal block visible in your picture where you could poke a multimeter.

Controller seem to be working fine.

When I open the bottom of the pump, remove and put back the impeller, it seems to improve the next run.

When it runs it will go at full speed with a dynamic sound then it will make a different sound like it is struggling to keep runnning and then it will stop sucking water and make another noise which is like I am receiving power but I am blocked.

Yes looks like it is 8 years old according to serial number. Maybe it's time to change the pump. Should I avoid to open to see if something can be oiled?

PXL_20201006_125614125.jpg

Really hate using the word "Could" but it could be the motor windings are weak if it starts ok but then quickly changes, 8yrs old, yes time to consider a new one I guess. Did the motor become hot to the touch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back