Phone charger from China has two identical pins

Why would they want a polarized two pin plug?
Because the North American two-pin plug (Type A) was originally not "polarized".
So, the NEMA 1-15 Outlet was modified so that the Neutral Pin was Wider than the Line Pin.

UK socket-Outlets (Type G) are not intrinsically "polarized".
Heever, they are polarized by default, since no two-pin plug can be inserted.
It is necessary that a three-pin plug must be inserted, so that the Earth Pin may operate the shutters.

Australian 3-pin socket-outlets (Type I) are intrinsically "polarized".
In most Australian socket-outlets the Earth Pin is not required to open any shutters.
Hence, Polarized 2-pin plugs are available and used for "Double Insulated" devices in Australia.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Because the North American two-pin plug (Type A) was originally not "polarized".
So, the NEMA 1-15 Outlet was modified so that the Neutral Pin was Wider than the Line Pin.
Hardly an answer to my question - why?

UK socket-Outlets (Type G) are not intrinsically "polarized".
It is necessary that a three-pin plug must be inserted, so that the Earth Pin may operate the shutters.
You say they are not but they are. Right :?:

Australian 3-pin socket-outlets (Type I) are intrinsically "polarized".
In most Australian socket-outlets the Earth Pin is not required to open any shutters.
Hence, Polarized 2-pin plugs are available and used for "Double Insulated" devices in Australia.
WHAT?

It depends on the make of socket, some it needs both live pins to be inserted together, think from memory MK, so with a class II plug where the plastic earth pin has been broken off the plug could still be used. Upside down if you wanted to.

We all know what we should do, but I still have this 1702384053656.png in my own bedroom which uses a adaptor like this 1702384155687.png which should not be used I know, but where used I really have no problem with it. It is really handy if you excuse the pun.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back