Two pin to UK Three pin plug adapter ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a battery charger with a European 2 pin plug fitted . I have just noticed that the three pin plugs on other appliances I have are actually adaptors which accept the two pin ones inside and the pins locate in the live and neutral terminals .
How do I identify the positive and negative pin on the european 2 pin plug on the charger so I can fit it the right way ? There's a "N" and a "D" on the plastic plug , I'm assuming that's neutral.
Also what fuse would you use , the appliance manual says 3 amp, if a 13 amp BS1363 and 5 amp for "other" types of plug ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
which country are you in, and which country did you buy the charger in?

Is it a phone charger or a car battery charger?

Is it a cheap thing off a market stall?

It's a car type 3 stage charger . I'm putting the attached 2 pin plug into the 3 pin for use here in the UK. to use manual says to be connected to 240V 50Hz . The 3 pin plug is the type that opens up and you place the 2 pin one inside locating the pins in the live and neutral positions .

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as

in AC circuits!
The pins can go either way round.
If manual says 3amp fuse, then 3amp is what you should use.

Thanks , My Dad thought that was the case , but I like to be 100% sure , I'm scared of electric ! ( and fire)

Bought it here It's off ebay but UK supplier despatched from UK .
My first thought was to do what you said actually until I realised when I looked that a lot of stuff ,including another charger I have ,has the these converters fitted and I had one spare . Yeah it should have had the thing fitted and I contacted them about it ,
I remember when everything you bought came without a plug and you fitted it yourself with the correct rated fuse , dead straight forward .

cut the continental plug off and fit a UK 3-pin plug instead.

While that is the best option some of the cable used has such fragile wire that making a good connection in the terminals of a UK 3 pin plug requires some re-inforcement of the wire.

To comply with the law a UK supplier has to either fit a UK plug or attach a converter, supplying a converter socket does not comply, it needs to be fixed to the original plug, so the converters you are looking at are a way around the law, rather than some thing strictly required. If the suppliers cuts off the plug and replaces it, he needs to show the staff used is qualified to do the work, but using the adaptor gets around the problem, they simply can't be fitted incorrectly, so skilled staff not required.

Because I worked around the world I liked the adaptors, easy to remove when I went abroad, however your unlikely to take your car battery charger abroad so cut off the original plug and fit British is likely best option.

The type C plug is rated at 2.5A in Europe, so 3A fuse is ample.

I have two options there , the adapter is the quick option there , fitting a plug would be no problem either (does that make me skilled staff ?):)

I think it is one of these:

upload_2018-4-7_15-12-18.png

I have a battery charger with a European 2 pin plug fitted .
So have I.

I have just noticed that the three pin plugs on other appliances I have are actually adaptors which accept the two pin ones inside and the pins locate in the live and neutral terminals .
Like my pictures?

How do I identify the positive and negative pin on the european 2 pin plug on the charger so I can fit it the right way ?
Line and neutral, as has been said. It doesn't matter which way round.

There's a "N" and a "D" on the plastic plug , I'm assuming that's neutral.
I don't know about that.

Also what fuse would you use , the appliance manual says 3 amp, if a 13 amp BS1363 and 5 amp for "other" types of plug ?
Thanks
Here again, it doesn't matter.

It will only have the protection from a 16A MCB when used in Europe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back