1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Round pin plugs - just curious

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by clifford1, 29 Feb 2012.

1. clifford1

clifford1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have always had a love for the old round-pin set up, especially the large ceramic 15 amp sockets, and the associated bizarre system of sizes, adaptors, quirky wooden plugs, etc. In fact I have an old cottage annexe entirely equipped with these in working order.

I thought they were long obsolete, but recently I have noticed advertisements by mainstream suppliers selling modern 3-pin plugs and sockets in the 2 amp and 5 amp sizes, and even the 15 amp. screwfix for example sell modern white 5 amp plugs and sockets.
    What are they for? Why is Britain apparently moving back to a standard we dropped 40 years ago?

I am also aware that round pin continue in use in some parts of the world. Malaya, India and South Africa for example use a mixture of types, including our old 15 amp.
    A curiosity I recently found in a charity shop is a modern flat-pin 13 amp socket with two additional 2 amp round pin outlets attached. It is not square, but slightly rectangular, and needs I believe a European "503" pattress box.

Can anyone explain what is happening, and give some background ?

Many thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. holmslaw

holmslaw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. crystal ball

crystal ball

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    15amp round pins are common in theatre lighting rigs

5. dhutch

dhutch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Although increasingly being replaced by 16amp amp 'ceeform' plugs/sockets.

Obviously there is a requirment to have unfused (but otherwise protected) plugs and sockets in said application.

Daniel

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the 2/5/15A sockets are not shuttered they don't comply with the regulations for use in housholds.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When controlled by a light switch on the wall.

9. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A friend of mine found these in a flat he bought in 2009. It hadn't been rewired since it was built in the 1950s/1960s.

They allow lamps with 5A leads to be plugged into the same point as a 'modern' 13A socket. They were MK I believe.

10. clifford1

clifford1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to see they are still around.

Next question will be the old large 2-pin 10 amp plugs, and a wooden 3-pin plug I found that had extra large pins with slightly wider spacing than the normal 15 amp version. I've never found a socket it would fit !

11. plugwash

plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Newly manufactured 5A and 15A sockets have been shuttered for years, IIRC 2A sockets got shuttering later (presumablly because it was difficult to make shutters that small).

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local