15 amp round pin plugs

15A round pin sockets are intended to be fused at source at 15A, not 30A so what you intend to do is wrong.
Extending the radial is probably the most logical thing to do.

Sponsored Links
thank you for all replies.

i would need a 15 amp plug with a 15 amp fuse.

the reason would be to improvise a current installation.

picture this;
a 30 amp fuse feeding a two storage heaters, 1.7 and 3.4 kW.
wiring in 4 mm from large heater to small heater.
switched 13 amp fused spurs used.
no simple way of getting new cable to one of the heaters.
not really happy with 13 amp fused spur feeding the 3.4 kW heater, works out around 14 amp. though it all worked for years.
thought a 15 amp plug and socket complete with a 15 amp fuse would be a solution, and leave the 13 amp switched fused spur for the 1.7 kW heater as it is.

have noticed newer 5 amp plugs are now fused, wondered if this was the case with 15 amp plugs nowadays.

Sounds like a complete bodge to save doing the job properly if you ask me.

Check out [433.3.1 (ii)] and then just take the fused spurs out - unless of course you can think of a way that a fixed heater load can produce an overload :D.

Sponsored Links
thank you for all replies.

i would need a 15 amp plug with a 15 amp fuse.

the reason would be to improvise a current installation.

picture this;
a 30 amp fuse feeding a two storage heaters, 1.7 and 3.4 kW.
wiring in 4 mm from large heater to small heater.
switched 13 amp fused spurs used.
no simple way of getting new cable to one of the heaters.
not really happy with 13 amp fused spur feeding the 3.4 kW heater, works out around 14 amp. though it all worked for years.
thought a 15 amp plug and socket complete with a 15 amp fuse would be a solution, and leave the 13 amp switched fused spur for the 1.7 kW heater as it is.

have noticed newer 5 amp plugs are now fused, wondered if this was the case with 15 amp plugs nowadays.

Sounds like a complete bodge to save doing the job properly if you ask me.

i agree.
:)

Had a look at one of those MK plugs before, the fuse is smaller than BS1362 and are 5A max.

have decided my plan was a bad idea. :(

even if you could get a 15 amp plug with a 15 amp fuse;
it wouldn't stop someone plugging an unfused plug into something that would be protected by just a 30 amp fuse. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back