round pin sockets

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me when you would fit a round pin socket and plug.

ive noticed they come in 2,5,15 amp rating.

ive come across 15amp rated microwaves (combi) before now.

would you be able to come off the ring then on to a 15amp round pin socket then plug it in?

cheers

Sponsored Links
2A and 5A are often fitted to domestic lighting circuits for table lamps to be plugged into, which allows them to be switched like a conventional ceiling light.

Round pin sockets are used to prevent 13A appliances being plugged into a 6A circuit.

15A sockets are often used in theatres for dimmer circuits, but are starting to be phased out by some of the bigger theatres and hire companies.

15A is used here because the plug is unfused as the sockets are often akward to access the fuses are kept easy to access in the dimmer room.
It also prevents someone plugging in a standard 13A appliance into a dimmed supply.

I beleive 15A sockets are also used in hospitals for some equipment.
15A sockets are the standard socket in some (Maybe all) of India.

You can not wire a 15A socket directly to a ring circuit, as 15A plugs are not fused, so the only protection your appliance would have is the 32A MCB in the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
I also use them under w/tops so there's only one fuse, in the switched spur above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back