15 amp round pin plugs

Sponsored Links
Those linked to are not fused.

The BS for these does not call for them to be fused, so it is very difficult to find any that are, but I seem to recall someone on this forum posting a link to them in the past.

Why do you want fused ones? What are you using them for?

Sponsored Links
Yes the REYROLLE type has fuses in the pins and the round cylinder around the pins comes in two forms which allow both fused and non fused to be fitted to a fused outlet but only fused type to be fitted to non fused outlet. Years ago very common for 110v supply in UK. Not seen for years.

The BS 546 and BS 196 I have not seen with fuses but in BS7671:2008 it says "BS 546 (fuses, if any, to BS 646)" so I would think you can get fuses for this type.

These are BS 546

The problem is unlike the REYROLLE type there is no way to ensure a non fused version is not plugged into a non fused outlet so in practice they are very rare.

at £4.10 each rather an expensive way to fuse.

anyone know if you can get 15 amp FUSED round pin plugs?
As someone else has linked MK make them (643 WHI) however the maximum fuse is 5A and I can't seem to find anywhere that actually sells them.

Bit of a pointless product, really. :evil:
I disagree, if you have a small peice of equipment that you aren't happy being protected by whatever fuse/breaker backs up a typical theatre socket (I'd guess either a 16A or a 10A breaker depending on the dimmer rating) then this lets you protect it with an appropriately rated fuse.

for anything up to 13A, use a 13A socket.. why bother with a round pin?

for smaller circuits that you don't want normal plugs to fit for reasons of overload ( such as stand and table lamps on the lighting circuit etc ) then they act as a non standard plug..

Bit of a pointless product, really.

A 15A BS546 socket should be protected by a 15A fuse, so the use of BS646 fuses limited to 5A max. in the plugs isn't a problem. Once you get to an appliance over 5A, you would use a regular non-fused plug with the appliance & cord being protected by the fuse at the distribution panel.

thank you for all replies.

i would need a 15 amp plug with a 15 amp fuse.

the reason would be to improvise a current installation.

picture this;
a 30 amp fuse feeding a two storage heaters, 1.7 and 3.4 kW.
wiring in 4 mm from large heater to small heater.
switched 13 amp fused spurs used.
no simple way of getting new cable to one of the heaters.
not really happy with 13 amp fused spur feeding the 3.4 kW heater, works out around 14 amp. though it all worked for years.
thought a 15 amp plug and socket complete with a 15 amp fuse would be a solution, and leave the 13 amp switched fused spur for the 1.7 kW heater as it is.

have noticed newer 5 amp plugs are now fused, wondered if this was the case with 15 amp plugs nowadays.

Not sure about the 15A version, but the MK 5A fused plugtop uses a BS646 fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back