Phone line extension Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to extend my virgin phone line to another room. The main incoming cable is a 3 core although only the blue and white's connected, i've put in a extension cable in which was given to me its a 4 core, blue,red,green,yellow, i'm guessing i'll only be needing two of these. The extension box i've got has 6 terminals on it, can somebody tell me how to connect it all up.

Sponsored Links
!st thing to do is get rid of the cable you have put in , that is alarm cable not telephone cable , this will cause interference on your broadband and drop speeds , once you have the correct cable check that you have a slave extension socket and not a master ( master have a capacitor on it), on the extension it will be numbered 1-6 on there terminations , most phones nowadays only need 2 & 5 connecting , whatever colour you use on the extension , just match up the same on the front plate of the NTE main socket. If you plug a phone in and it does not ring then you will have to connect 3 up at both sockets , but again this can cause interferance on the line and reducing broadband speeds so only do this if the phone does not ring.

Thanks for that oh well will have to buy some cable after all then, just one question how does it interfere with the broadband i thought the broadband came through a different cable.

sorry , just checked your post , your on VM , there telephone line has no effect on your broadband at all as it is carried down the co-ax , so you should be able to use the cable .

Sponsored Links
sorry , just checked your post , your on VM , there telephone line has no effect on your broadband at all as it is carried down the co-ax , so you should be able to use the cable .

he could have used that cable (and there was nothing to suggest it was alarm cable) anyway - it really doesnt make a difference.

Using alarm cables for phones and phone cable for alarms is a complete bodge done by sparks who don't give a damn.

Sure it will work, but so would wiring a 13amp socket in aerial cable. We have different cables for different jobs. Do the job correctly or not at all. People pay sparks to do jobs because they are meant to know what they are doing. Using the incorrect cable for a job is incompentant.

Using alarm cable for phones will provide a service. But later additions to the phone system may be seriously compromised by the fact that alarm cable has been used today,

Alarm cable is not twisted pairs, telephone cable is, twisted pairs reduce pick up of hum and other interference from nearby by power cables.

Alarm cable may not make reliable connections in the IDC connectors of telephone sockets.

Telephone cable can be used for alarms but the other way round is recommended.

Telephone cable can be used for alarms but is NOT recommended.

.. being single strand it breaks very easily, especially when put under screws in JBs - it then falls apart months later giving grief.

Make that not recommended, but I'm sure you figured that out from Bernard's typo. :D

The alarm cable has stranded conductors which simply do not provide a good, reliable connection in the IDC terminals of telephone jacks, which are designed for solid cores.

You might punch the wires down and get it working, but in the long term you're almost guaranteed to have problems later.

When you do get the correct cable, the standard wiring for your extension is:

2 = Blue/white
3 = Orange/white
4 = White/orange (although not needed on a basic line)
5 = White/blue

(First is base color, second is stripe/band color.)

Easily done Bernard. I've lost count of the number of times I've left out one critical word, even read through what I've written two or three times afterward and not realized until later. :D

I see using phone cable for alarms just as bad as using alarm cable for telephones.

They are designed for a specific purpose. Stick to it. It's not as if it's that expensive to buy a drum!

Well, you and telelec first brought it up - So I jumped in to say that it is not the way to correctly do things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back