Query regarding wiring of phone extension cord to socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is trying to hardwire his extension phone cord to the mastersocket but is having problems to do with the cable colours.

Since its an extension cord, the 4-cores are red,blue,green,white. He tried various combo's with 2 & 5 of the mastersocket but no joy.

Does anyone know what colour goes to which?

He isn't ruling out the cable may be damaged after pulling through conduit.

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
As long as you use the same colour at each end it shouldn't really matter, i.e. if you use term 2 red, term 3 blue, term 4 blue, term 5 white at both ends it should work. Like you say though, if the cable is damaged it won't help!! I take it you have and NTE5 master socket with the removable portion on the bottom to connect into?

What cable is he using ?

the 4-cores are red,blue,green,white

suggest he may be using the wrong type of cable with wire that will not connect in the punch down terminals.

Is the cable he is using round or flat and are the wires a single strand of copper per wire or several fine strands per wire ?

Multistranded will NOT connect reliable (if at all) in a punch down terminal as this type of terminal is designed for single strand solid wire

If the cable being used is the flexible, stranded wires as distinct from solid core, then they are not designed to be used with IDC, push down, connectors and may well not make a proper connection.

Sponsored Links
if its in and got to be used, solder the ends to make em stiff enough

I have some of the same coloured phone wire which is single core. I don't like the idea of soldering the ends and then shoving into an IDC connection as over time it may create a bad connection. IMO it would be better to get the correct type of connection or if needs be, solder a short length of single core cable to the end insulating the connection with heat sleeve and use the single core cable to terminate into the IDC

It's one of those flat extension kits you buy to run along the floor and gather up when you are done with it etc.

I understand what you mean if the cores are multistrand which they are but I thought the connection of the wires he made would be good enough especially when you have to give the cores a bit of force to remove them from the terminals.

Anyhow, does anyone know what cores go where so if I need to solder, I pick the correct ones?

if its one that used to have a plug on one end and he`s cut that off it`s usually the outside cores - tin them and push them in with a decent punch down tool and it`ll not cause a problem

I used a multimeter to identify the cores and yes the two outside cores did the job.

Cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back