Photo cell compatible lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to link a photo cell to my outdoor light for dusk/dawn operation.

I want to retain the cfl low energy bulb for obvious reasons but seem to

remember a friend having problems doing this. I know certain lamps do not

dim, is it the same with p.e cells or do the newer types accomodate cfl's.

(I was looking at the mushroom head type in screwfix)

Cheers Ian.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm going to link a photo cell to my outdoor light for dusk/dawn operation. I want to retain the cfl low energy bulb for obvious reasons but seem to remember a friend having problems doing this. I know certain lamps do not dim, is it the same with p.e cells or do the newer types accomodate cfl's. (I was looking at the mushroom head type in screwfix).
It probably depends upon the type of 'photocell'. If it simply contains a 'mechanical' switch or relay, then 'a switch is a switch', and it would be suitable for switching any sort of lamp (provided it could cope with the current - which it obviously would be with a CFL).

However, if the photocell has an 'electronic' switch then, just like dimmers, it may have a problem with certain types of lamp/load. I would suggest that you carefully read the instructions/spec of the photocell you intend to use, which should indicate what sort of lamp/load it is compatible with.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm using one of these to control about 80W of fluorescent lighting

It's been working fine for several years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back