Photoshop and GIMP files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always used Photoshop but thought I'd try Gimp.
Am very impressed with it up to now.
At the moment the Gimp files emerge as xcf.
I thought I might try using png, files.
The advantage being they work in Photoshop and Gimp (I believe!)
Am I right here and, if so, are there any problems likely....quality etc etc.

Sponsored Links
As above, PNG is a decent lossless format to transfer images between programs.
Although depending on your project it may be worth saving a .XCF file as well.
Just as with Photoshops .PSD file format, the .xcf stores a whole load of other parameters, such as text layers and transparencies etc.
If there's a chance that you will want to come back to an image and re-edit it, save the .xcf project file as well.

Sponsored Links
Gimp is an excellent tool, equal to photoshop in many respects and free, unlike photoshop.

Thanks to all.
For my present "needs" I think PNG will be the answer.

The thing I truly appreaciate in being an opensource linux user is that I don't care what format file you send me, I can open it

XCF files will retain layer information, whereas PNG would only be editable as a single layer. Best practice, in my opinion, would be to have a copy of both. XCF file, if you ever need to make amendments to the image, and a PNG to use for every other use (letterheads, logos, email sig, etc etc)

Photoshop will react exactly the same, except their file extension is PSD, rather than XCF.

I have just got a new laptop, and can't find the number to re-install photoshop, so seems I must start using the free versions.

Rawtherapee, Gimp, FastStone Photo Resizer, and Photomatrix which I still have the program given free with a magazine. Still need to down load Hugin the program to stitch photos together.

The main thing is one Photoshop would work with 32 bit, and two loads of people including all the camera magazines tell you how to use it. I only had CS5 and after CS6 it stopped being a program you could buy, it is now subscription, so seems I must now learn how to do things with the free programs.

There are things with Photoshop like refined edge which may not work as well with the free options, the question is would you actually use these options? The problem is likely it uses a different name for the same function. And there are loads of sites and mags showing how to do things with Photoshop, but very little on how to do it with Gimp.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back