Photovoltaic System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am looking to install a Photovoltaic system. Now I understand there are many different types all that do different things.

I have a question about this however.

If I connect an Inverter to my Consumer Unit and switch off the Mains but leave the Inverter on - Will my appliances stay on but use the Inverter and Solar Pannels

the second question is

If I leave both the 'Grid' electricity and Inverter on is there a way to switch to the Grid when my Inverter is depleted?

My theory is that if the Inverter is pushing power around my home then there will be essentially no need for the electric to be drawn from the street. and as such stop or slow the meter down.

Sponsored Links
If I connect an Inverter to my Consumer Unit and switch off the Mains but leave the Inverter on - Will my appliances stay on but use the Inverter and Solar Pannels
No. If the mains fails, the inverter will shut down.
This is for safety reasons.

If I leave both the 'Grid' electricity and Inverter on is there a way to switch to the Grid when my Inverter is depleted?
Yes, all happens automatically, no need to switch anything.
If the load in your house is more than what is supplied from the inverter, the extra will be taken from the grid.
If the load is less, any surplus is exported.

But what I am suggesting is that I do a DIY Install of the Solar Panels as I am only looking 4 - 8 of them and the system will be relatively simple.

And since I am doing a DIY Install I cannot sell my energy back to the grid because I wont have an export meter.

I know that there is the potential for the Inverter to go past the electric meter and back to the grid but I am wondering is there anything that can stop this event,

Sponsored Links
But what I am suggesting is that I do a DIY Install of the Solar Panels as I am only looking 4 - 8 of them and the system will be relatively simple.

And since I am doing a DIY Install I cannot sell my energy back to the grid because I wont have an export meter.

I know that there is the potential for the Inverter to go past the electric meter and back to the grid but I am wondering is there anything that can stop this event,

The laws of load flow don't respect whether its a pro install or a DIY install .... you cant change physics. If you are using less power than the invert produces then it WILL flow back out into the street. If you are using more power than your inverter produces then power WILL flow from the street. You can't influence that.

You wont be able to get any money for it .... but you will be giving the (excess) energy away for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back