Solar Panel Inverters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody familiar with Solar Panel Inverters?
I have an existing Solar Panel install – all working fine, providing free electricity when generating, as well as export to grid.

I intend adding a Hot Tub, and would like (when Solar Panels it's generating) to have Solar electricity powering the Hot Tub.

My understanding is that the Inverter generates at a slightly higher voltage, in order that it ‘allows’ any on-premise use of the generated electricity to not get rung up on the meter.
(That’s the way it was explained to me.)

If I add a Hot Tub cct as per schematic, will that work in same way … assume it will as all electrical feeds are common to the main Switch Fuse.
The inverter is simply connected to CU (and hence effectively meter tails) by its feed ‘in’ to the MCB feeding into the Consumer Unit instead of out.

Attachments

• schematic.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
There are units to allow powering of the immersion heater only when the solar panels are producing spare power, however supplying a hot tub is complex, mainly down to earthing systems, once one leaves the equipotential bonded area, then there are dangers using a TN-C-S supply, distance from buildings, under ground services all matter.

If a TT supply then really no problem, but the methods used for EV car charging are not really good enough for a hot tub, so unless a TT supply, which are not that common, this is not a DIY job.

I have one of those units so excess electricity is dumped into an Immersion heater - works well.

The Outbuilding is installed as a TT supply.

Sponsored Links
It seemed to me that the original question was whether the solar generated power got used locally first rather than being exported. If so, yes. Any solar power will be used locally if there is a load (like a hot tub) and only that not used will be exported. Apologies if that wasn't the question.

Thanks - yes that was the question ..... so anything connected to the same supply (switch fuse as the common point in my case) will benefit from that.

Just for the record.... the inverter doesn't export by producing a higher voltage. Its a bit more complex than that.

Can you explain how generated electricity can be used locally without using units on meter?
Assuming devices are ‘dumb’ how do they consume this locally generated juice rather than leccy board power.
I used the ‘voltage difference’ as that was what Solar Panel installer described it as.
Be good to know.

Your inverter will always supply the maximum amount it can up to the lower of the power input from the PV panels at that moment or the max power output of the inverter (commonly 3.6kw but sometimes more). Your home/hot tub may draw more than this in which case excess will come from grid.
One method of using less from the grid is to add batteries, these will help smooth supply and also get you through the night!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back