Piano Lid problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to move again. This time I need to take my pianola with me. Since I have had to disassemble it (to get it through the doors), I have decided to take this opportunity to completely renovate it. It is still quite playable (or was until I took it apart) but could do with some attention to the action, rubber hoses, and I would really like to bring the case back up to scratch.

Now my main concern is a crack, that is about 12 inches long and goes all the way through the thickness of the lid. As you may see from the pictures, this crack is not obvious unless you apply some pressure to distort it. I'm not sure what wood the lid is made from but it is covered in Burr Walnut veneer. (I know it was made in 1904 by Weber if that helps)

Any ideas what I could do to stabilise this area to prevent the crack getting any larger? I was thinking something along the lines of PVA but the two sides of the crack naturally hold themselves very tightly together.

I'm also concerned that if this repair is bodged it could seriously devalue the instrument.

Finally, I would also like to re-finish the case. It probably has over a hundred years of pledge on it, so I'm sure it would look better if I could remove this junk and bring back it's former luster. Any tips appreciated.

1116365813_p1.jpg

1116365866_p2.jpg

Sponsored Links
my personal thought are dont glue the veneer

a stable room with the right humidity [eg probably not centraly heated and humid] to allow the wood to naturaly return to its origional moisture content and shape central heating is renowned for causing problems with furniture built to a higher moisture content [about 17% if i remember rightly]

Thanks for the reply All. While researching suppliers for materials for the renovation of the action I have found a piano humidifier. This is a device that you actually fit inside the piano case to maintain humidity. I shall probably fit one of these (if I can find the space.)

It's not the veneer that's cracked though. In fact, the veneer is still firmly attached to the wood. It's the wood itself that has the crack. This crack goes through the entire thickness of the lid. It's possible that it was a glued join during manufacture, (before the application of the veneer), that has failed. Perhaps an animal glue would be more appropriate?

On my piano, I leave a bowl of water near the pedals (inside the case).

Sponsored Links
t m

i think you will get a more detailed usefull answer from a traditional musical instiment shop or furniture restorer as to the correct procedure for rehumidification and also to the best percentage probably about 10 [rather than what i said above]also humidity affects the tunning of the piano

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back