Pickaxe handles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they all the same size as regards the head end?
I have an old pickaxe, but the head is quite loose. Rather than just buy a couple of wedges to try and tighten the head, I'd like to get a new handle and wedges but don't know if they are different sizes or all to a set standard.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried standing it in a bucket of water for a couple of days to swell up a bit.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if "old" pick axe heads are imperial, and new handles metric?

I've never known a pick to have a fixed head. I always thought the head was just knocked into position by giving it a few dunts on the ground and doing it the opposite way to separate it for storage.

I've never known a pick to have a fixed head. I always thought the head was just knocked into position by giving it a few dunts on the ground and doing it the opposite way to separate it for storage.
Yes but once they have dried out the head hits the ground before the shaft when you try to fit them so they don't tighten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back