'picket fence' on top of old block wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

At the front of my house between ours and my neighbour’s place, there is a low single-skin block-built wall which I want to make higher. I’ve spoken to him about it and he’s fine with it, but the wall is my responsibility so I’ll get no help there…
I’ve uploaded a photo of it in case it helps: the front garden slopes down so the old wall is staggered with 3 steps going one block lower each time.
It’s going to about two feet higher near the house (the first two sections) and only about one foot higher going towards the road. I don’t want to put more blocks on it as I think it will look uglier, so I was thinking as follows:
to create a kind of ‘picket fence’ on top: as supports for the boards, I am thinking of fixing treated 2x3 flat all along the top of the wall (which is the width of one 4-inch block), with 2x3 uprights at regular intervals and then lengths of more 2x3 resting on top and all fixed together with heavy-duty angle brackets. Then, I figure it will be easy to screw the boards (on both sides in a ‘shadowbox’ style so it looks nice from his side too) snugly to both sides. Incidentally, I’m planning to use pallet boards to keep the cost down, and I have a ready supply of them from a nearby fruit wholesalers.
As you may have gathered from the non-standard method I’ve suggested, I’m not a fencing expert but I have put fences up in traditional way before.
If anyone’s got any opinion on if my way will stay up or a better way to do it, or even a different idea to make this boundary look decent and private, I’d welcome the input!

[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back