Picking out pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm converting a steading in Aberdeenshire. I need to pick and repoint the external walls, inside and out. The walls are approx 450mm thick, in rough hewn granite.

I've never pointed before, can I just use a hammer and chisel? And should I pick the old lime out and the repoint the whole place in one go or should I pick out a small area and repoint, the pick another small area and repoint and go on that way?

Cheers,
iain

Sponsored Links
a hammer and chisels a long job
is it soft enough that you can get away with a pick or better still hire a low power spit and flat chisel?
take out about 5m at a time if your putting lime back in it takes ages to go off this will give you time to take some more out before finishing the first lot
good luck

Thanks for that mate. No, I'm planning on puttign cement pointing back in. The lime that's there is bu66ered, it's very soft in places so your suggestion of a pick isn't a bad one. Or, as you say, a power chisel maybe.

It's about 400m2 of wall!

Sponsored Links
crickey!
You'd better get off the net and crack on with it(only joking)
But i would suggest with so much to take out, do the raking out till you've had enough of it, then put some back in till you've had enough of that.
If your after a rustic look to the finish trawel it in then as its going off rub it in (there are loads of things you can rub it in with) then as it goes off stiff brush it?
If sucking eggs come to mind i'm sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back