Pickled Onions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So following a really poor crop of Shallots last autum I've ran out of home pickled pickled onions.
Been around various shops and supermarkets to obtain a jar or two of factory made ones but all seem to be of the sweet or sweetened variety... Yuk!

Does anyone know of a source of pickled onions that the onions have been preserved just in vinegar without the addition of sugar?

It seems to be a growing trend that all pickles are getting sweeter to suit USA tastes; even the recipies on the web seem to include copious amounts of sugar.

Sponsored Links
I quite like Opies in balsamic not quite like home made but very strong

Can't comment on sugar but the best ones I have found are Barry Norman's . Also Gardners(?) but BN the closest to what my mum made

Sponsored Links
Drain them and add your own vinegar. Pickled gherkins, nom nom.

The reason why there is a shortage is that we in Essex consider them a delicacy.

We are now stock piling in case of a no deal brexit

Another vote for Garner's

upload_2019-2-10_23-47-40.png

There is sugar in them, but not much - I've never noticed them being sweet.

But then I customise mine, as I like more than a "bit" of a kick, so I add chillies to a jar, and leave them to fester for a few months. Malaguetas work well.

Why not buy some pickling onions and pickle them to your own personal taste, you will have course have to wait a while.

Can I third Barry Norman's onions? Cracking!

They used to do shallots as well, but they disappeared from the shelves of Waitrose.

I quite like the sainsbury Shallots in hot and spicy vinegar....

Sponsored Links
Back