Pics of my electricty supply/cu - comments/advic please

Sponsored Links
It is strange, I have always wondered what that is, with the size our electricity bills there is certainly no by-passing going on :D, it does like the wires from the main fuse going into that box are thinner than the ones coming out of it, I need to go and have a look to see if it is an illusion.

As for energy saving light bulb, it is a door, so it has to be a very small bulb otherwise it will get smashed, and a cupboard full of mercury is not a good idea :(.

I think I have suzzed it, the main fuse says 420v on it, so that box must be a transformer.

Sponsored Links
It must be some sort of junction box where they have joined the cables together or something. Could as before 1980 there was just an old fuse box like this so they had to extend the tails to order to move the CU?

woodmains.jpg

There is a seal tag on it so it must have been done by the DNO.

It must be some sort of junction box where they have joined the cables together or something.

It's not, I can assure you!
There isn't a seal on it (it is the DNO's equipment and has been sealed at some point) so nothing to stop you unscrewing the two screws to take a peep....

Here's mine!

27092008427.jpg

27092008428.jpg

AAAhhh this picture makes it clearer, its one of those "Pointless boxes" often used around the 1980's to make unknowing customes feel there getting more equiment for there electriciy bill..lol

Finally is the most stupid place for a light ever?
The light btw is actually on a door frame, you can see the coats hung up on the door behind just about. This is a very obvious fire hazzard, the original fitting got knocked off so I fitted a new one in its place and used a 40w golf ball insted of a size 60w one. We just have to be careful to only use the light for a few minutes and that the door dosn't get shut behind, if it did the coats will catch fire :(.
As for energy saving light bulb, it is a door, so it has to be a very small bulb otherwise it will get smashed, and a cupboard full of mercury is not a good idea :(.
Well move the wretched thing then...

There is no where else it will go, I will look to see if there is any small golf size energy bulbs, or even bayenett LED ones?

Gary haha that is interesting :D I suppose it offers some protection to the cables if nothing else.

Those spreader boxes between the DNO cutout and the meter seem to be quite common in the old NORWEB areas.
Seen quite a few around the Salford area.

Haha the old Salford reference again! A lot of people think I am from Salford because I went to university there. I have lived in Chorton all my live, though that is only 3 miles from Salford and it is indeed an old Norweb installation :).

So what was the true purpose of that empty box? They must have cost Norwen a few quid and I can;t believe they were just for show?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back