Picture Resolution Confusion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, got a question that’s probably dumb...

I have a 720p max resolution laptop attached to a 1080p projector in our cinema. The laptop runs Kodi and I have a SSD with all my movies on.

I’ve never given it much thought but it suddenly occurred to me today that if I play a 1080p movie on the laptop with its max resolution of 720p and that display is then mirrored to the 1080p projector what quality am I actually seeing?

My guess is 720p upscaled so not a true 1080p image.

Anyone understand this enough to tell me because I’m not sure?!

Sponsored Links
The resolution capability of the actual LCD panel, and the capability of the chipset that drives it aren't the same. The LCD panel is fixed, the chipset will be capable of various settings (just not when displayed to the LCD)... this means when driving a different output, i.e. a plugged in monitor or projector you might be able to select a different screen res that's 1080i or 1080p compliant.

All that said, I'd be surprised if your actual res is only 1280*720 as that's quite small for a modern PC, so when you state "I have a 720p max" perhaps this is more an expression of the standard of HD movie is is actually capable of decoding.

Right-click in a blank space of the desktop, go to display settings, and post a screen shot of your options. Both with and without the projector plugged in.

Nozzle

Yes, on my computer when I mirror the laptop screen to external source (so both are on showing same image) the output is the same resolution and aspect ratio shape (so can get weird effects) as the screen as video processor cannot cope.

So to best match the device I am sending to I always put it on two screen mode for presentations and output only (screen off) for videos to projector.

But is your projector a true 1080 projector with actual 1080 pixels.

Sfk

Ah interesting, thanks!

it’s an old laptop so 720p is the max selectable screen resolution I see in the Screen Resolution settings. That said, I haven’t tried outputting the image to the projector only (laptop screen off) which might then give me a 1080p option being as my projector is true 1080p.

I’ll take a look and report back.

Sponsored Links
Got to the bottom of it.

Switching the laptop output to the projector only opened up the ability to increase resolution to 1080i which was an improvement on the 720p I was seeing when both laptop screen and projector were on.

Because I knew the projector was 1080p capable and my film library is pretty much all 1080p I decided to upgrade the laptop to a newer version to get a proper 1080p output and not the interlaced version.

All good now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back