Piggy back cables electric oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Is it possible to piggy back oven and separate hob?
Wire new oven to cooker point, run hob cable from back of oven to hob.

Cheers,
Baz.

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible whether it is correct or not is another matter

Question is will the total load on the circuit be more than the rating of the breaker ?

HI,
Thanks all.
The hob is a Miele KM181 and I believe it is 40amp.
I will need to check on the oven.

Cheers,
Baz.

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts on what you're going to do if the oven requires a circuit fused at less than the cooker circuit you'll be connecting the hob to, but more than 13A?

Hi,
Some information about the oven. Don't know a great deal about
previous cooker. outlet has a thick grey wire.

HOTPOINT BD31 PLR Power/Ratings: 120V, 60Hz/1.67kW, 14.5 Amps. Safety Compliance: FCC, DHHS

If it is too much chew I will go back to s standard cooker.
All I want is hot food.

Thanks,
Baz.

Hi,
Just a thought, Could I connect the oven to a standard plug socket, and the hob to the cooker point?

Cheers,
Baz

Sorry everyone.
It is a HOTPOINT BD31 double oven. I just pulled the spec from the web.
I don't have the manual. It has previously been used in the UK.
The hob is new, the oven came with a second hand kitchen, from the UK not the USA. I will look see if I can find a label on the oven.

HI,
Thanks all.
The hob is a Miele KM181 and I believe it is 40amp.
I will need to check on the oven.

Cheers,
Baz.

Isn't this an American sold hob as well?

You will need to check the plate on this as well.

Either way the answer to the primary question is NO isn't it?
Even if the oven is 3kW adding this to a 40A hob will not have been predicted by the original circuit designer, surely?

Appendix 15, BS7671:2008

".......ovens and hobs with a power rating exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit"

Either way the answer to the primary question is NO isn't it?
Even if the oven is 3kW adding this to a 40A hob will not have been predicted by the original circuit designer, surely?

Appendix 15, BS7671:2008

".......ovens and hobs with a power rating exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit"

Yes, but do note that page is a RECOMMENDATION on ONE of the ways of reducing the load on a ring final in the NEW regs. It isn't carved in stone.
-but it is a good idea!

An indirect solution to the problem, agreed and apologies. But

Reg 314.3
"The number of final circuits required....shall.. facilitate compliance with.. Chapter 43 for overcurrent protection, Section 537 for isolation and switching and Chapter 52 as regards current carrying capacities"

The answer to his question is still No :D

Thanks everyone,
That settles it. The hob goes back in the box, the oven goes in the shed, the standard cooker goes in the kitchen.
Life's too short.

Thanks again,
Baz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back