Piggyback LED Strip off Existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking to extend an LED strip light with controller off the existing Caravan wiring. This is the closest light, where do I splice to extend red and black wires?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
More information first.

The existing light, what voltage is that? 12v DC, 230v AC, something else?
This LED strip light, same info needed please. And does it need some sort of driver?

Thanks for your response. The existing light is 12v it runs off the caravan battery. The strip light is also 12v and does not require a driver.

Many Thanks

If the LED has its own switch, then you connect it into the terminal block.

If you want it to be controlled by the switch (next to the existing light, I guess??) then one wire into the block with the white wire and the other has to be connected to the black wire on the switch. You'll need to introduce another terminal block in that case.

I'm guessing that you have a negative earth system? so the negative connection has to go to the white cable.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. I have attached to the Red and White and powered up fine. In terms of separate switch this is via means of an inline LED Controller.

However, I connected the LED controller inline, and whenever I press any key it blinks but does not dim, or power off etc.

I have attached pics, note: It has been disconnected at the block just to power off. I have requested another controller as I feel it may be faulty, otherwise any of you can shine a light on why!? ... Pun intended!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6A8BD917526E2798!2498&authkey=!ANmaUQLYZsDJdos&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6A8BD917526E2798!2497&authkey=!APaukbY_V4TEX7k&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Last edited:
From the pictures it appears you have connected the controller the wrong way round.
The terminals marked '5-24v' should be connected to the 12v supply, the terminals marked 'LED" should be connected to the LED strip.

From the pictures it appears you have connected the controller the wrong way round.
The terminals marked '5-24v' should be connected to the 12v supply, the terminals marked 'LED" should be connected to the LED strip.
Of course!! That makes perfect sense.. Thank you very much!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back