Piling next to a party fence wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I pile within 3 metres of a neighbours boundary wall? The wall does not form part of a building but is a normal land dividing wall approx 1m high with a fence on top. I've looked online on the governments acts but they seem to relate to a party wall like a terraced house for example. I have started piling on site and a neighbour has asked us to stop because there is no party wall agreement, do I need this just for garden wall which I think is probably owned by the neighbour?

Sponsored Links
How far are you from the actual neighbouring building/structure (ignoring the garden wall)? The act is in place for excavations within 3m and 6m of the neighbouring building. If it's just a garden wall, then there's no reason why you can't just put together some words that you both agree, sign and date that if any disruption is caused to the wall/land that is put right prior to completion of your works. No point involving expensive surveyors for that.

Can I pile within 3 metres of a neighbours boundary wall? The wall does not form part of a building but is a normal land dividing wall approx 1m high with a fence on top. I've looked online on the governments acts but they seem to relate to a party wall like a terraced house for example. I have started piling on site and a neighbour has asked us to stop because there is no party wall agreement, do I need this just for garden wall which I think is probably owned by the neighbour?
Yes a garden wall is a structure under the act. Are you sure it's his? Is there any chance you could argue you think it's yours? I'd probably argue anyway but carry on piling while I did so. Argue long enough to get the piling done. Once done the act no longer applies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back