Pilot light on BAXI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

*apologies if this is duplicate post, had trouble posting first one*

This morning awoke to no hot water or central heating. Investigation showed pilot light on boiler was out. Boiler is a BAXI FS501, maybe about 15 years old (was here before we moved in 18 months ago - estimate was from BG engineer trying to sell us a new one)

The pilot starter is sparking but not igniting. Can't ignite with a match either. When we first turned off the gas, the engineer had trouble restarting with the starter, but did it OK with a match. Since it's been serviced (twice now) it has been, to my knowledge, OK.

This could be a complete red herring, but the boiler is next to the back door, and a few months ago I installed a cat door which lets in a slight draught. So the boiler is now exposed to colder air than before, especially at night.

British Gas engineer is coming around *tomorrow* (so that's what the 14 quid/mo 3 star service plan gets me) so if anyone has any safe suggestions I'd be glad to hear them

Roger

Sponsored Links
probably just a blocked pilot...if it's the open flued version you may be able to get a tube and blow the crap out from around the pilot and relight it with a match.

Next day service for a non emergency in this weather?.....can't be bad surely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back