Pilot light problems - glowworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for any ideas on this problem.
I have a glowworm swiftflow gas boiler which has been going wrong since last year. Last winter the heating kept going off with no warning, the pilot light was always on but the heating wouldn't respond to the thermostat on the wall in the hall, i could get the gas to light by switching off and on the main electric switch, but it would only light for 10mins or so then go out again.

I left it and used the gas fire in front room for heating. It was serviced in summer and they changed some switch so it would light from the thermostat.

Now it's getting cold again i see the heating isn't coming on and the pilot light is always going out. It's out when i get up in the morning and i i relight it, it's out when i come home from work, it goes out about every hour or so. Another thing is if I've just lit it and turn the shower on it goes out again, so i re-light it and this time it stays on when the shower goes on again.
The gasman came out last week and the week before and fiddled with it saying he'd call to see how it was getting on, it went out 1hr later, I called, they said they'd come last week, still not heard. I'll get onto them but any ideas as to the cause?

BTW the radiators come on once gas pilot is re-lit and cent. heating put on again, but it never lasts long, sometimes when i relight the pilot and flick on the central heating i can't hear the gas catching in a "whoosh" like it normally does and start the radiators again.
Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.
Gastric

p.s. The pressure drops alot when pilot light is out, and i use the valve to increase it when it falls too low.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help, appreciated
Greek to me but i'll mention it to serviceman.
Also if i hear the gas isn't catching when i switch heating on and pilot is lit, a sharp smack with my fist can sometimes get it going after a few attempts, is there a risk of it exploding in my face :confused:
thanks
Gastric

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back