Potterton Puma 80 Pilot Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came back from a two week holiday, had a hot bath, and then went to bed. The next morning I noticed that the raditors never turned on (even though the boiler switch was to constant heat) and the pilot light was out. I tried relighting the pilot light 5 times a day for the last two days but no joy.

1) The boiler is a gas Puma 80.

2) The pilot light won't stay lit. I press the control knob, align it with ignition position, hit the ignition button and hold for 20 seconds (or much more) but whenever I release the control knob the pilot flame goes out.

3) It did stay lit one time (and allowed me to switch it from the ignition position to the run position) but when I went to take a shower the water never got hot and when I checked the pilot light it had gone out again.

4) The problem started the same night I came back after taking a bath

5) The pilot light has remained lit only once since it went out.

6) I am lighting the pilot light with the Central Heating swith set to OFF and the Hot Water switch set to OFF.

Do I have a bad thermocouple? What do you reccommend?

Sponsored Links
Thermocouple gone, or does this have the overheat in series with the thermocouple?

Check for an overheat button that may have popped out.

I'm not too familiar with these without being in front of one.

It could be...

Thermocouple
Poor pilot flame
Faulty OH stat

All corgi jobs but relativly inexpensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back