pilot light wont keep alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ravenheat boiler and the piolt light will not keep alight,ive replaced the thernocouple and still it goes out after when i release the ignition button, before this problem i did turn the gas off then the piolt would not re light, please can anyone help me out?? email me please at

thankyou
marcus

MOD

see 14a

e mail removed it can be shown in your profile

Sponsored Links
Which model boiler is it? System boiler or combi?
Have you purged the air out of your pipework if you have been working on the pipework and had the gas off?
Does the pilot flame reach the thermocouple? If not could be a blocked pilot jet/burner -- try blowing it clean with an air duster.
If the pilot does reach you could be looking at a new gas valve or a dodgy overheat stat depending on whats in your boiler.

boiler is ravenheat 820/20,combi,
not been working on pipework but did turn the gas off at the meter then it would not re-light, pilot does reach the thermocouple,
what should i do next to find out what it is?

Which model boiler is it? System boiler or combi?
Have you purged the air out of your pipework if you have been working on the pipework and had the gas off?
Does the pilot flame reach the thermocouple? If not could be a blocked pilot jet/burner -- try blowing it clean with an air duster.
If the pilot does reach you could be looking at a new gas valve or a dodgy overheat stat depending on whats in your boiler.

Take the 13 screws off remove the casing and at the top left is the overheat stat ... Check it for continuity OR check for continuity between 13 &14 on the pcb thats the other end of the same wires.

Sponsored Links
the overheat stat is a new one because its conected to the thermocuople,
ive had it pressed in now for over 15mins and still wont keep light..

Slugbabydotcom said:
Take the 13 screws off remove the casing and at the top left is the overheat stat ... Check it for continuity OR check for continuity between 13 &14 on the pcb thats the other end of the same wires.

Looks like a new gas valve then assuming the themocouple has been fitted correctly at the gas valve end
Part number 5012006

can i fit the valve? or do i need a corgi fitter?

how much are the vaves approx??

thankyou for your help

Slugbabydotcom said:
Looks like a new gas valve then assuming the themocouple has been fitted correctly at the gas valve end
Part number 5012006

Corgi job as you would need to set the burner pressure and its a gas part.

Sometimes theres a little reset button on that OH stat so check that before you call someone out

Try this for the price.

Its nice to meet a DIYer that knows his limitations :)

Thanks for your help, i cant find a re-set button on the OH stat there is just two wires coming of it and nothing else..
ive also just checked my gas meter and cant beleive how much it as use from the last quarter, its a digital meter is there anyway i can sort the reading out ?? i know i shouldnt but its over a grand for some reason.. can you alter digital meters or not??

uote="Slugbabydotcom"]Corgi job as you would need to set the burner pressure and its a gas part.

Sometimes theres a little reset button on that OH stat so check that before you call someone out

Try this for the price.

Its nice to meet a DIYer that knows his limitations :)[/quote]

If your boiler badly needs servicing it will use a lot more gas.
Apart from that I have heard tales of digital meters getting a bit naughtyand that they are going back to the old type. Have you just had it changed recently?
New meters measure in cubic metres rather than cubic feet so check that you are reading it right.
Tampering with gas supplier equipment is very naughty and you will get a smacked bottom if they catch you but for what its worth I do sympathise with your plight.
A gas leak could also cause your meter to spin but you would normally smell that.
Confront your gas supplier about it AFTER getting your boiler serviced if necessary and system tested for leaks .
Ask CAB or trading standards for advice and repost on here if you seem to be getting nowhere. Someone else might know a way to get them to change it to a normal U6 bellows type meter.
One idea could be to go over to prepay

i do understand about getting the meter changed because it may be leaking or something but that wont help my main concern of which is a grand to pay this quarter if they come and read it,
is there nothing you can do with a digital meter? someone told me you could alter the old type but not to sure about the new ones,
i really dont know what to do now because my boiler wont fire up and it looks like ive got a grand to pay this quarter and ive got no money this month....

any views please??

Slugbabydotcom said:
If your boiler badly needs servicing it will use a lot more gas.
Apart from that I have heard tales of digital meters getting a bit naughtyand that they are going back to the old type. Have you just had it changed recently?
New meters measure in cubic metres rather than cubic feet so check that you are reading it right.
Tampering with gas supplier equipment is very naughty and you will get a smacked bottom if they catch you but for what its worth I do sympathise with your plight.
A gas leak could also cause your meter to spin but you would normally smell that.
Confront your gas supplier about it AFTER getting your boiler serviced if necessary and system tested for leaks .
Ask CAB or trading standards for advice and repost on here if you seem to be getting nowhere. Someone else might know a way to get them to change it to a normal U6 bellows type meter.
One idea could be to go over to prepay

is there nothing you can do with a digital meter? someone told me you could alter the old type but not to sure about the new ones,

tampering with a meter is a criminal offence as well as being extremely dangerous :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

yes i know its a criminal offence and shouldnt even think about it but ive got no money at all and my boiler as stopped working...am just very frustrated and was hoping you could do something just to make the bill abit easier by altering the meter but if its not possible i will have to think of something else

kevplumb said:

tampering with a meter is a criminal offence as well as being extremely dangerous :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MOD

see ITEM 14

I have my crystall ball out now

Looking into the future

Give me a min for the ball to clear
I can see...

I can see ...

Metal railings
and

I can see

someone running down the road with your gas meter ;)

As I peer into the fog of my crystal ball I can see clearer now
They are not metal railings
But Iron bars

with a man in a uniform behind them.
Thats it the vision has gone

Thats a tenner you owe me for the reading !!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back