pilot/thermocouple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Imperial (long since out of business) gas fire, "coal" / flame type. The pilot light keeps going out, and therefore the gas supply is automatically shut off. I presume that the thermocouple has finally burnt out. (Listed as, 350 mm, part No. T2-52). Will I be able to get a replacement? Is this something that I should attempt to replace myself?

Sponsored Links
Its very likely that the thermocouple is still available in the form of the same part as used on other fires.

If you could take a clear photo beside a ruler then I am sure someone here could suggest a similar type to fit.

In your own home you could replace it IF you are competent.

In the case of a gas fire there is little that can go wrong in replacing the thermocouple yourself.

The advantage of a competent CORGI is that he can assess the general condition and safety of the fire and do tests on the effectiveness of the flue. Successive DIY repairs to a gas fire can mean that its never safety checked by a professional for many years!

While many people never have a gas fire serviced regularly I would say that its very risky if its not checked every 4-5 years although the ideal would be to have it serviced anually.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I'm tempted to repair it, but truth be told, I think if it were to be inspected by a professional it would be condemned. (The 'burner tube' if you know what I mean, has a few splits in it too. I suppose it must be about 15 years old). It's such a shallow unit, only 7.5 inches, that it is difficult to find a suitable replacement. I think that I would really have to source a whole new unit. I don't suppose you know of one that would fit. Mine has steel "coals" incorporated, so it actually throws out quite a bit of heat and I'd want something that would supply heat as well as flames.
(I'd have replied sooner but I lost my broadband connection).

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. I'm tempted to repair it, but truth be told, I think if it were to be inspected by a professional it would be condemned.

I wonder how I guessed that!

Being open flued, gas fires are potentially very dangerous if not checked regularly.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back