Strange looking Thermocouple in Robson Willey gas fire

Tc7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I suspect the Thermocouple has gone in my Robson Willey Firecharm gas fire. The pilot flame goes out regularly and the fire itself goes out after a few minutes.

I have removed the thermocouple. It looks very different to standard thermocouples.
It is copper but there is a white wire running along side the copper.

Can I buy a universal thermocouple (which will be longer as well) that will replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Tc

Sponsored Links
Tc - try moving this post to the Plumbing & Central Heating section as that's where most of the 'Gas-sniffers' live :LOL:

Hi there

I suspect the Thermocouple has gone in my Robson Willey Firecharm gas fire. The pilot flame goes out regularly and the fire itself goes out after a few minutes.

I have removed the thermocouple. It looks very different to standard thermocouples.
It is copper but there is a white wire running along side the copper.

Can I buy a universal thermocouple (which will be longer as well) that will replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Tc
in short no you should really get it checked out as the thermo couple is not the only cause of the fire going out. sorry to be a sour puss but its the only advise i will give to joe public.

Sponsored Links
I bought a universal thermocouple. And although it's longer it appears to work.
The new thermocouple would seat firmly but I think I got it in the correct position as the fire is has been on now for two hours.

A badly fitted thermocouple can't cause dangerous issues can it?
Tc

i hope this is a wind up and i have been caught hook line and sinker, but i'm willing to take the chance just in case!!!!!!!
the thermocouple you have removed has an OSD on it which under fault conditions (ie products spilling in to the room) will shut the gas supply off to the boiler (THEREFORE SAVING YOUR LIFE) changing it to an ordinary one will ensure the fire stays on and will possibly poison you with Carbon Monoxide, please turn your fire off and get a registered gas engineer to fix it, and please post back to let us know you are not dead!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you have fiddled with an "oxypilot" assembly from the description of the copper wire/white wire. My advise would be not to use the fire until checked by CORGI reg. engineer. Pilot may be going out because it is drawing in fumes, making pilot flame unstaible and t'couple cooling down. DONT USE IT

I have tested it. If I blow the pilot flame out, the gas valve shuts the gas supply off.
I think I have replaced a strange looking thermocouple with a universal one. The original has the copper but with no signal wire in the centre but running alongside.
Tc

Can you Put a picture on of what you have removed and a picture of what you have done

this is one end of the strange looking thermocouple I removed...

3081360271_a17127a84d_o.jpg

I replaced it with a universal thermocouple and mounted it so the tip is just in the pilot flame.
Tc

Need the picture of what you have done, Why did you not post that too

as i said earlier the short answer is NO. I am a registered engineer and refuse to give advise to non registered people. when I said no you cant change it. you still went ahead and did it . you have been given further advise for your own safety, by other engineers but in your wisdom think you know better, and ignored their post as well, Either you are thick or just a smart a rse that knows better than the people trying to keep you alive,

You have now broken the GSIUR (gas safety installation and use regulations) you have by passed a safety device.

GSIUR appendix 2 Examples of potentially unsafe situations, REGULATION 34 PAGE 80 (5) OTHER DANGER (G) appliance safety devices, eg flame failure devices, are inoperative or have been deliberately defeated:

The GSIUR is some 98 pages long we have to follow them to keep people alive. SO stop messing in some thing you have no Idea in what you are doing. I just hope to god you live alone because you are seriously putting peoples lives at risk by your incompetence.

Assuming this is a posting at face value, the OP has ignored alll the safety and replaces an expensive safety device which probably sells for closer to £50 with a totally different item costing less than £10.

He may have saved perhaps £40 but he may have cost someone their life !

Quite apart from any safety legislation, what many people do in their own homes goes largely unseen!

Tony

Assuming this is a posting at face value, the OP has ignored alll the safety and replaces an expensive safety device which probably sells for closer to £50 with a totally different item costing less than £10.

He may have saved perhaps £40 but he may have cost someone their life !

Quite apart from any safety legislation, what many people do in their own homes goes largely unseen!

Tony

absolutely correct Tony.

please read this and stop playing with things you do not understand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back