Pin (toggle) light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have my loft light switch on the landing, in a 4 gang switch. The number of times people randomly press switches until the right light comes on means the loft light usually gets left on.

I have a trap door (drop down) style loft hatch and am considering moving the light switch to something more automated: door closed = light off / door open = light on.

I would like this to be recessed in to the frame rather than surface mounted, so that only the pin bit sticks out, and is pressed in when the door closes.

Or alternatively some equivalent of a PIR switch but that works on the same premise of door closed / door open rather than motion.

Does such a switch exist?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
these are meant to be fitted in a door jamb/surround such that when the door is opened the light comes on
I have them on the kitchen larder doors

you can get surface mounted ones as well

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
PIR can be dangerous in a loft as it will at some point switch off just as you a balancing on a joist at far end of loft.
Also PIR uses electricity so not cost effective when light is normally off all the time.
If you have switch wires near loft hatch, instead of a micro switch onto the door, why not simply put a normal switch just inside loft hatch - it is a simple/normal solution, it will not need adjusting, it will not go wrong, and it will not use electricity.

Quinetic make a door switch. I’ve got one on my pantry door and it’s great - was so much easier putting it in a good spot and not having to worry about wiring it.

Sponsored Links
PIR can be dangerous in a loft as it will at some point switch off just as you a balancing on a joist at far end of loft.
Also PIR uses electricity so not cost effective when light is normally off all the time.
If you have switch wires near loft hatch, instead of a micro switch onto the door, why not simply put a normal switch just inside loft hatch - it is a simple/normal solution, it will not need adjusting, it will not go wrong, and it will not use electricity.
Yeah I know - the "PIR" would be for the door itself, not human movement.

these are meant to be fitted in a door jamb/surround such that when the door is opened the light comes on
I have them on the kitchen larder doors

you can get surface mounted ones as well
Yeah I've seen those. Do you have yours the hinge side of the jamb, so that the hinge side of the door pushes it in as closing?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have a different solution that may work for your situation, as it's quite unusual in my experience to have a loft light switch below the hatch.

You could replace your switch with a grid system like these: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...mate_Grid_Index/Ulimate_Grid_White/index.html

For the rest of the lights, fit a standard switch module in the grid and for your loft light switch, fit a key switch like this:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUG20DPKWPW.html

GUG20DPKWPW.jpg

This solves the issue of accidentally switching the loft light on when you aren't going up there, and also has the added benefit that someone can't easily switch the light off while you are up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back