Exterior lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am just knocking an opening for some french doors at the moment and we are planning on lighting for the exterior. We will be having a lantern type light outside on either side of the french doors (not with PIR) with a 1 gang switch on the inside to control it and I was wondering on the best way to wire it.

The switch will be inside to one side of the door. The switch is being used as loop in / loop out, rather than having a ceiling JB as its a flat roof. This switch is actually the last one on the lighting circuit, so there will not be a live out from the switch. Would it be best practice to have two cables coming from the wall switch to each light, or to loop it from one exterior light to other, or bury a maintenance free JB in ceiling void?

Also, on a separate question we have another security PIR light outside which is rusting and needs replacing. Has anyone used the energy efficient security lights, and are they any good for PIR lighting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would hope you have a live out from the switch otherwise the lights won't work :D Seriously, loop by all means. Also although it is only a small job, any work outside should be notified to your local council who will be only too happy to relieve you of some money.

Lol yes, quite right. I currently have a build regs application open which should cover this.

So when you said loop by all means. did you mean loop from one light to another, rather than having two live light cables coming from switch?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Lol yes, quite right. I currently have a build regs application open which should cover this.
It won't if you didn't include the proposed electrical work on the application for approval, together with how you intended to comply with P1.

Did you include it?

If so, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1? Or what did you allow the council to assume? What is your council's attitude to DIY electrical work?

If not then you'd have to submit a separate a££lication.

HOWEVER - note that if where the inside switch goes is not a kitchen or bathroom, and if the wiring for the lights goes straight through the wall into them, i.e. you have no cables running outside, then Approved Document P tells you that it isn't notifiable. (Not really true, but hey - it would be churlish to refuse to go along with it... :mrgreen: )

I would consider it better practice to run a cable to each light, as opposed to looping from light to the other light.

This will allow you to wire the lights up more easily, and you have a greater chance of making the cable entry more watertight.

You will also have the option to switch them separately in the future.

You would also be able to remove one of them in the future should the need arise.

I would consider it better practice to run a cable to each light, as opposed to looping from light to the other light.

This will allow you to wire the lights up more easily, and you have a greater chance of making the cable entry more watertight.

You would also be able to remove one of them in the future should the need arise.

It will also mean that you may end up having a JB somewhere, which is best avoided where possible.

It will also mean that you may end up having a JB somewhere, which is best avoided where possible.

Why?

Unless I've misread, the op is talking about feeding switches, so the switch could have a feed cable, and two cables going off to the two lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back