Pine wood floor questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the board - and new to DIY so bear with me!! :D

I've got a pinewood floor in my bedroom. Unfortunately the filling in the gaps between the floor boards has started to break away, plus I'm bored of the colour so I'm going to be sanding it down in a few weeks time. Its currently stained and coated with yacht varnish.

Firstly, I was planning on hiring a heavy duty sander from HSS. Any tips on the sanding process? Should I just use a sander/sandpaper or is there something I should put on it first?

Secondly, when I finish, I will no doubt have some gaps, as shown in the photos below. I want to dig out the old filling and replace it with something better. Any ideas whats the best way to fill them? I want to fill it with something that will blend in with the sanded wood and will also allow me to put a new stain over it.

Thirdly, once I have stained the wood, whats the best thing to protect the floor with? Previously the floor was given two coats of Homebase's own brand yacht varnish (done in 1993). Any suggestions on what I should use? Exact brand and type would be useful. The yacht varnish has done quite well but I'd like to put something a bit tougher as the floor does dent quite easily (i.e. from dropping a coin, or my watch).

Thanks and I look forward to your replies!!!!

HERE ARE THE PICS OF MY FLOOR:

p454_evisserpm1094.jpg

p186_evisserpm1641.jpg

p809_evisserpm2188.jpg

Sponsored Links
sorry about that... it should be working at the moment but i'll find somewhere better to host the pics today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back