Ping....someone explain it to me!

Igorian - Regardless of what it says on the consumer facing side, I can assure you that it no longer applied. I'll find the references for you when I'm back at work.

Sponsored Links
Idea is the same, function wise it is a world apart. The game itself has to process the reply, which will be fairly low priority (As are ICMP packets usually), which means if the game server software is busy, then the response will be slower than would an ICMP packet which would be answered by the servers network stack and not by the game

whichever way you want tu put it, if you have a slow connection and/or your pc isnt up to spec, the ping within the game will be higher than if the opposite were true for a given server.

click for a report in Dec 2006 which advises of the contention ratioj for Zen internet - I use Zen and home users is 50:1, business 20:1 I reccomend Zen to a lot of my customers due the the good service and good technical suport.

www.sinet.bt.com - SIN386, page 3, paragraph starts "All BT IPstream products...." (I can't copy it, it's in a protected PDF).

Followed on page 17, in the table of changes to SIN386, on 17/10/2005
Contention statement replaced by congestion priority information in the Introduction (The para on page 3)

I'm just trying to find a copy of v1.8 at the moment, which is the last SIN386 to make mention of contention ratios.

Sponsored Links
Back