Disaster to Cheer-Up Your Sunday (but not for me...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sitting on the PC today, just about to start a game of tanks. Sunday morning, just had breakfast, kids all playing happily... lovely.

PC dies instantly, lights go off. I mutter "oh *******s" and wander through to tell them all there's been a power cut. But there hasn't. TV is on okay, and wife is listening to radio. I check fuse box... nothing. Now It's only the extension that has no power. I'm concerned.

Now we bought this house a few months ago, and the extension wiring is definitely on my list to get checked (there were a few cowboy signs visible) but I thought I needed to find the problem (electrics, fires etc) so I climbed up into the extension roof space gloved and masked, and hauled up the fibreglass insulation.

Now prepare yourself, this is what greeted me:

Dsc_0338.jpg

Yes, that's lighting and wiring connected via a 5-gang extension lead, which is in turn plugged into a 2-way socket, hanging on the end of a spur from the ring. The fuse in one of the plugs had blown. This has got to rank up there as some of the worst wiring ever seen.

Unbelievable.

I've disconnected everything except a single feed to the boiler which should make it safe. I'll have to get a sparky round this week as this job is probably beyond me. I'm hoping the sockets and light circuits are all good so I don't need a full rewire.

But I reckon probably either a consumer unit for the extension, or fitting of a proper new ring and light circuit to the existing board, but former probably easier.

Some people just need shot...

Sponsored Links
Oh yeah, I thought about that. But the extension is really just a sort of garage conversion - the roof and walls are all original, really just internal battening and plasterboard. Nothing complex about it, and nothing structural. But it looks like they've got some dumbo mate to just rig up extension cables from the one proper socket that's there.

I'm really debating what to do here. One hand says just fit a 13A in-line fused switch with RCD and tidy up all that wiring, the other says fit a new garage CU and re-wire. But you can't fit a CU to the end of a spur, and don't think I can find the ring main to break into and wire the sockets correctly.

Sponsored Links
Might be best to move this to the electrical forum. Where is your main consumer unit in relation to the garage/extension and what appliances do you intend to be using? I'm guessing the load exceeds 13a otherwise the fuse wouldn't have blown

+++++++++++++++
Moderator's note
You can use the "report" button to request a move.
+++++++++++++++

Looks like you have the pipes going through the bottom edge of that joist too, then it's be kind-of doubled up.

Nozzle

Yup, that's for a radiator in one of the rooms. Unbelievable because there was absolutely no need - as you can see it's not floored or covered, and there's an older (soldered) joint and pipe passing over the joists as well. As I say, I've been in the house a couple of months, I think I'm going to find some interesting stuff...

If that orange stuff is what I think it is, there'll be no cpc to whatever it feeds....

If the extension was done under the previous owners watch, then you should start to make an almighty fuss.

Contact the council and demand that they prosecute him for Building Regulations contraventions, and tell them that if they don't then they too will be in the firing line because you will never, ever give up on getting them to step up to their responsibilities, and they will end up in court one way or another.

Invest a bit of money in paying for a rottweiler solicitor to (at least give the appearance of) you starting legal action against the seller for compensation. If he lied on the questionnaire in the sale, go to the police and make a formal statement reporting a case of fraud.

Chances of anything coming of any of the above are slim, but worth it for the chance of causing the previous owner to cack himself.

If the extension was done under the previous owners watch, then you should start to make an almighty fuss.

Contact the council and demand that they prosecute him for Building Regulations contraventions, and tell them that if they don't then they too will be in the firing line because you will never, ever give up on getting them to step up to their responsibilities, and they will end up in court one way or another.

Invest a bit of money in paying for a rottweiler solicitor to (at least give the appearance of) you starting legal action against the seller for compensation. If he lied on the questionnaire in the sale, go to the police and make a formal statement reporting a case of fraud.

Chances of anything coming of any of the above are slim, but worth it for the chance of causing the previous owner to cack himself.

Of course it could have been done prior to 2005, so Buildings Regulations not apply.

I have loads of that for camping.

The stuff I was thinking of was the two-core stuff typically fitted to Class II mowers and trimmers etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back