Pipe banging like mad when hot water is switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a preety annoying problem on my hands. Basically, when I switch on my hot water, its begins to heat up with a few minor noises coming from the boiler itself and then after approx 8-9 mins, one of the pipes starts to bang and shake violently! At this stage I have to switch it off as the noise is so loud, it seems like something's going to explode!

Also, I can hear water swirling violently inside the water tank which is placed just above the boiler. Sometimes, there is expulsion of steam/water in the central heating header tank in the loft where the vent pipe enters and therefore excess water being expelled from the overflow pipe.

Also, my central heating and hot water run through a diverter valve. I have the temperature control on the hot water tank set to 50c, is this ok? Additionally, the head on the breather pipe/valve which protrudes from the hot water tank is completely closed. Is this ok or should it be a little loose so that air can expell?

Does anyone know what this problem could be?

Any urgent help would be highly appeciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
need a bit more info ie what type of boiler and set up.sounds like u have a open system on a combi?

Hi

I've got a preety annoying problem on my hands. Basically, when I switch on my hot water, its begins to heat up with a few minor noises coming from the boiler itself and then after approx 8-9 mins, one of the pipes starts to bang and shake violently! At this stage I have to switch it off as the noise is so loud, it seems like something's going to explode!

Also, I can hear water swirling violently inside the water tank which is placed just above the boiler. Sometimes, there is expulsion of steam/water in the central heating header tank in the loft where the vent pipe enters and therefore excess water being expelled from the overflow pipe.

Also, my central heating and hot water run through a diverter valve. I have the temperature control on the hot water tank set to 50c, is this ok? Additionally, the head on the breather pipe/valve which protrudes from the hot water tank is completely closed. Is this ok or should it be a little loose so that air can expell?

Does anyone know what this problem could be?

Any urgent help would be highly appeciated.

Thank you.

sounds like pump failure but dont use it until looked at cus vents over tanks must not be valved or capped

Any chance of a picture, not sure of some of your explanation, but basically , DO NOT USE again until its checked out as it may be dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Hi

its not a combi, just a normal system that you have to switch on the hot water/ central heating manually or through the timer.

As mentioned, the breather pipe that comes out of the hot water tank has a tiny little cap on it. Should this cap be closed tightly or be a little loose?

Thanks.

Hi

its not a combi, just a normal system that you have to switch on the hot water/ central heating manually or through the timer.

As mentioned, the breather pipe that comes out of the hot water tank has a tiny little cap on it. Should this cap be closed tightly or be a little loose?

Thanks.

Your talking about the auto air vent on primary pipework from boiler. That can be loose providing it doesnt leak.

Still reckon pumps at fault.

Switch off and put your immersion on until fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back