Rads boiling hot, hot water in taps warm, violent pipe bangs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas central heating and hot water system which is probably about 25 years old and i just in the past 10 days during this cold weather in Sheffield noticed these things:

When the controller turns the heating and hot water off there is a violent banging in the pipes, sounds like an elephant is landing on it, but also i have noticed the radiators are red hot and smell of paint, but the hot water in the taps is only warm.

Could this indicate that there is something wrong with the two Honeywell thermostat valves. Are the rads getting too much and the water tank not. How can i fix this?

I have read about water hammer which suggests that you stop the water to the house, drain from the taps, then re-start the water. Not sure what that will do. Also, because the rads are red hot i don't think there is air in them.
i'd be really grateful for help/advice as the banging is waking us up and the neighbours i would think, plus it would be nice to have hot water in taps and cooler rads.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler thermostat has gone hence the red hot rads and the banging as the water expands through the system as pump shuts off. Get it fixed asap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back