Brown water and Banging from pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

For some time now i have had Brown silty water coming from the hot water taps whilst the boiler is on.In addition the boiler or pipes makes a loud Banging sound.Also when the radiators / heating is turned off but hot water on the upstairs rads still heat up?? when the boiler is switched off completely and the hot water run the brown water eventually clears.

I have checked the expansion tank and there is brown sediment sitting on the bottom, i tried draining the system refilling and bled the rads but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any ideas??
thanks, craig

Sponsored Links
needs cleaning, possibly new cylinder, motorised valve(s), re-piping

How many tanks in the loft 1 or 2.

What height is the water in relation to each tank, is one higher than the other, and if so which.

Sponsored Links
only one tank in the the loft, water height is is about an inch and half from the top of the tank just below the ball valve , thick brown sediment sitting at the bottom of the tank!!

Can you see the word Primatic on the top side of the cylinder, just above the heating pipes.

You need to turn the water off and drain the cylinder, and slowly re-fill.

The boiler needs to be off

Can you see the word Primatic on the top side of the cylinder, just above the heating pipes.

You need to turn the water off and drain the cylinder, and slowly re-fill.

The boiler needs to be off

cant see the actual word primatic , only that its a marsmatic self priming cylider ( I apologise if they are the same ) I drain the cylinder yesterday with the boiler off , and refilled, no differance , i know absolutely nothing about boilers so please bare with me

When you say no difference, it will take a day for it to settle down, unless you run bucket loads of water off.

The banging could be related to loosing the air bubble.

Check the pump is working.

Never heard of marsmatic, and neither has google it would seem. :confused:

When you say no difference, it will take a day for it to settle down, unless you run bucket loads of water off.

The banging could be related to loosing the air bubble.

Check the pump is working.

Never heard of marsmatic, and neither has google it would seem. :confused:

i will give that a try, i think the previous owners got the system from la la land as i've never heard of any of that, thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back