Pipe clip spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine that there is a recommended maximum distance between pipe brackets or clips.

It's in regard of a horizontal run of 15mm pipe in a void under a suspended ground floor. A run of approx 3m has been 'hanging' on an soldered elbow for many years, and following a little bit of disturbance (unrelated work) the sweated 'dry' joint has suddenly decided to come apart.

My opinion is that the weight of the pipe and water has played a significant part in the deterioration of the joint. The client thinks because a workman squeezed passed it, that he must be responsible.

I suspect that 3m with no support may be less than adequate.

Sponsored Links
If you were gas registered you would know trhe clipping distances for gas pipes.

But thats with negligible weight of gas. Add water and the pipe is heavier so needs to be clipped even closer.

A 15 mm with water is best clipped at about 1m intervals.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Thanks for reply Agile.
Though I would have thought a little closer than 1m myself.
I guess 1m is the maximum.

Sponsored Links
If I had to defend the "workman" then I might start by suggesting that it was the employer who had required that the workman squeeze past this insufficiently clipped pipe to peform the required duties.

I might also defame the character of the employer in using an outdated term like workman which is now often used to imply a lack of skills and intelligence.

Tony

Though I would have thought a little closer than 1m myself.
I guess 1m is the maximum.

Not at all!

Thre UK copper board recommends a MAXIMUM for horizontal 15mm copper tube of 1.2 m.

Its 1.8m when vertical where sagging between supports is not relevant.

Tony

max horizontal spacing for 15mm water pipe is 1.2m, gas is 1.5m
max vertical spacing for 15mm water pipe is 1.8m, gas is 2m

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I imagine that
the weight of the pipe and water has played a significant part in the deterioration of the joint. The client thinks because a friend of mine :oops: squeezed passed it, that I must be responsible.

I suspect that 3m with no support may be less than adequate.
Indeed- and it`s only gas fitters that will clear a room and open traps every yard and insert clips on each water pipe of a heating system . And Heating Engineers will carefully lag the pipes too :idea: Us plumbers just knock bits of lead about and clean Urinal waste pipes :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back