Pipe detector through chipboard floor

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My bathroom has a T&G chipboard floor. Unbelievably it has been laid without any fixings that I can see. It's going to be impossible to lift unless I cut the tounges which I would rather not do as it'll make the floor even squeaker!

Will a pipe detector work to find copper pipes and cables under the chipboard, like it would do on a wall? Any other suggestions so I don't screw into a pipe/cable?

The floor was previously tiled, unsurprisingly the tiles have cracked and popped off. My plan is to screw down the boards with 4x50mm, overboard with 9mm ply to match the levels (screwed with 4x25mm) and then fit cushioned vinyl. Any other advice welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
May have been glued down , only safe way is to lift a couple of boards and see where pipes are then mark on surface , far less hassle than fixing a hole in a pipe .

That depends upon how sensitive the pipe/metal detector is. Try detecting a similar piece of metal through so chipboard.

If it's glued then I'm not going to be able to lift it am I! Unfortunately the room has internal insulation and walls built on the chipboard so it will be a pain to lift.

I read elsewhere about drilling a hole in the board between each joist and using an eBay endoscope. Does that work for anyone?

Sponsored Links
If it's glued then I'm not going to be able to lift it am I!

You don't need to lift them as a first step, just test your metal detector through a similar thickness of the chipboard, or timber sheet. If that works, it should also work on the floor too. Even trying on the floor first, if it is sensitive enough, you should be able to confirm by tracing the pipe runs.

If plastic pipes might have been used, all bets are off, unless you drill holes, and use the endoscope.

What about any cables which might be under the floor?

Pipe detector isn't picking up any pipes unfortunately, even when I know they are there. It's picking up electrical cables which I suspect are lighting for the floor below.

Got out my eBay endoscope and it's no use, the glare from the lights means I can't see anything. Chinese tat in action.

I think I will try to lift a board, if I can't then just screw at board corners and leve the rest. Still better than it is at the moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back